Saved down payment - loan not approved

3 Replies

Hi everyone,

I have spent the last 6 months saving about 60% of my income so I could finally move forward with my first multifamily property. I saved 30k and plan on using FHA loan to house hack one of the 4 units (looking at a 4plex). I recently went to a mortgage lender and asked for a pre-approval. After sending personal and company tax returns he said because I am self employed for 2 years and my tech company "reported" a loss on our federal tax return for 2017 and 2018 my personal income wasn't high enough to be approved for the property I want (listing price 320k). Keep in mind I am buying real estate that will cash flow and will hopefully increase my income in years to come. Only went to this one lender called CapHouse Financial for the pre-approval who was highly recommended from Sotheby's.

In my mind I have a few options. Pick 3-4 lenders and apply for a mortgage approval all at once and see if I get approved. If I don't get approved maybe have someone who does meet the requirements sign with me? What are the negatives to having a relative or business partner sign (just for mortgage approval and not financial reasons)?

I'm not giving up!

Originally posted by @Jordan Hamilton :

Hi everyone,

I have spent the last 6 months saving about 60% of my income so I could finally move forward with my first multifamily property. I saved 30k and plan on using FHA loan to house hack one of the 4 units (looking at a 4plex). I recently went to a mortgage lender and asked for a pre-approval. After sending personal and company tax returns he said because I am self employed for 2 years and my tech company "reported" a loss on our federal tax return for 2017 and 2018 my personal income wasn't high enough to be approved for the property I want (listing price 320k). Keep in mind I am buying real estate that will cash flow and will hopefully increase my income in years to come. Only went to this one lender called CapHouse Financial for the pre-approval who was highly recommended from Sotheby's.

In my mind I have a few options. Pick 3-4 lenders and apply for a mortgage approval all at once and see if I get approved. If I don't get approved maybe have someone who does meet the requirements sign with me? What are the negatives to having a relative or business partner sign (just for mortgage approval and not financial reasons)?

I'm not giving up!

You want to talk to a commercial lender who keeps their loans "in house". A small regional bank would be your best best.

@Jordan Hamilton

I would keep shopping for lenders. It won’t affect your credit much if you keep shopping around the same time frame. Also if you’re married you can always use a spouse Or possibly a cosigner.

@Jordan Hamilton

If your company reported losses in 2017 and 2018, you probably won't qualify.

Did your lender give you an idea of what they could add back (depreciation etc...)? Can you amend your taxes to show a profit (and pay the subsequent extra tax)?

Try a local credit union or bank.

Stephanie