Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joe Young
Votes |
First Investment Purchase

Joe Young
Posted Jul 23 2019, 17:34

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase my first investment property.  I'm from the southwest suburbs of Chicago and have a few known options, and I'm sure a few unknown options.  I just purchased a 2b2b condo in December of 2017 and have been paying that down on schedule, not much extra.  In order to house hack, my girlfriend (now wife) and I picked up a roommate.  His rent payment covers our mortgage so we have been able to save our finances rather rapidly.  We have up to 30k at the moment that we are willing to invest in order to preserve a healthy cushion of 'just in case' money.  

Now, here are the options...

In a southern suburb of Chicago (not a HORRIBLE one, but D or C class for sure) called Lansing, there are a couple of 1b1b condos available for purchase at around 40k, most others start at 50 or 55k. Nothing seems wrong with them, the HOA payment is low and taxes are low. With a conventional loan, this seems like a viable option and I've already done an analysis of the property. With 20% down, it would likely produce around $200 positive cash flow right off the bat.

Alternatively, we were thinking of purchasing a 4 unit building and using an FHA loan in that same area. There is one 4 unit in particular that I was looking at that is listed at 260,000, I imagine I'd close around 220,000 considering the time it has been on the market. Instead of 1b1b like the 40k units, these are all 2b1b units except for the master which is 3b2b. We don't particularly want to live there, but I am wondering if the sacrifice would be worth it. If we were to go this route, would I be able to change my mailing address to this location and not occupy one of the units and "live there" on paper? Is this legal? I figure I'm already renting out the 2nd bedroom in our current home and covering the mortgage, so if I make 0 income on the 4th unit in order to obtain the FHA loan, it's somewhat of a wash since our current mortgage is paid. It is absolutely worth mentioning that I CAN NOT rent out our current condo entirely. Room rent is acceptable, but I must live on the premises. Otherwise, I'd just pick up a family and raise the rent, then moving to the 4 unit after purchase.

Looking for advice overall, experience with D or C class housing, alternative routes (specifically rentals, not interested in wholesale or rehab)

Loading replies...