Renting while paying off a -plex in the military?

5 Replies

Hey all. New guy to the forum and investing in general. Over the last few years I've been trying to figure out how to maximize my financial well being during my time in the military as well as when I leave. I just started researching real estate investing a few months ago and a question came to my mind. I would like to invest in a duplex or more....plex in a military town. However, I would like to have the plex as a pure investment and not living quarters mostly because I want to satisfy personal wants and my wife's as well. Has anyone ever rented while paying a mortgage on an investment? My job is secure and there is a good chance that I will be at this certain military base for quite some time due to my career path in the military. Is this a waste of time and money?

@Tristan Bexell I've been in the military for 18 years and have been investing in real estate for about 14 of those. Of those 14, I've spent about 7 years living in a house that I was renting while paying a mortgage on investment properties. The primary reason that I was renting was that I was living in fairly high cost of living areas (Hawaii, San Diego, and now in the UK) and was only guaranteed to be living in each for 2-3 years. Therefore, I chose to rent during those years and invest in a less expensive market in Missouri. I'm originally from Missouri, so happened to be a market that I was more familiar with as well. I acknowledge this is probably a little different from your circumstance in which it sounds like you intend to rent your primary home and invest in the same market. However, while each case has to be looked at independently, I believe there are certainly times it is appropriate to rent your primary home while investing in other properties. 

@Tristan house hacking is a great strategy, but if you plan to live elsewhere it is still entirely viable to invest while renting elsewhere, i'm doing it right now!

@Marcus what part of Missouri? We may be living a similar life, and I would love to talk more about it with you!

@Tristan Bexell , I don't think it's a waste to look into purchasing a multiplex as long as you analyze it and it makes sense for your situation. Another possibility could be to purchase a home as a primary residence that has a granny flat or some type of ADU so you could live where you want and also take advantage of your VA loan.

@David Pere All of the properties are in Northeast Missouri including Columbia and Kirksville and in some rural areas between there and the Mississippi River. I'll drop you a message so we can set up a time to chat! 

@Tristan Bexell I don't see any reason not to buy a multi-plex property but you could get such better deals on the financing if you established residency. That way you could get either a VA or FHA loan with hardly anything down. You don't have to live there permanently. Usually a year would meet the requirement.