Advice on my newbie strategy to REI please..

Advice on my newbie strategy to REI please..

Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hi BP members.

I am eager to start investing in multifamily homes as buy and holds for rental income.  I did cosign on my mother's home after parents divorce while I was still a college student. However, I've never partaken in ownership responsibilities.

So my plan is to purchase a multifam, live in one of the units for a year while saving my usual 35% of salary plus 15k I'd now be saving from what I currently pay in rent. I'd then have a healthy down payment for another home; Move into that one and rent out full property on 1st location. Eventually repeating the process until I can supplement my income. 

If I'm not mistaken, I can get a conventional loan and put 5-10% down to avoid PMI after paying down 20% of 1st home. The rest would be full 20% down.

Given the mortgage and rental rates in my area, I'd likely need 8-10 units(3-4 properties). So what do you guys think? Also, considering this strategy, would it be best to start an LLC up front, switch after having purchased in my name, or just getting a large umbrella insurance?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

Simple theory but the trick is in the execution.  Have you been pre-approved yet?  Have you done the math on actual on market properties to see if it checks out in your area?  Are the properties where the math works places you'd be willing to live for multiple years?  These are all things that have to be done and answered before you even start this journey but props for thinking ahead.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Simple theory but the trick is in the execution.  Have you been pre-approved yet?  Have you done the math on actual on market properties to see if it checks out in your area?  Are the properties where the math works places you'd be willing to live for multiple years?  These are all things that have to be done and answered before you even start this journey but props for thinking ahead.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Aaron K. Oops, I did fail to mention. I haven't been pre-approved. Just wanted some pros to chime in and settle my nerves a bit. I have been running the numbers on properties for sale in my area and although prices are higher than average, ROI still check out. And I'd definitely live in the area (born and raised here) Thanks so much for the response.

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    7y

    If you cosigned on your moms loan then it will be considered on your debt to income ratio. This effects your ability to borrow more. It may or may not be a problem with the first property buy but will certainly become a problem as you acquire more. A good first step while you are saving up a down payment would be to get your mom to try to refinance and get your name off of the mortgage. If you are on the title of the property as well then I believe it will disqualify you from getting an FHA loan (low down payment) in which case you should plan to pay 20% down on the first property.

    Sounds like a good, conservative, realistic plan.  Not a get rich quick, no money down, high risk, fantasy. 

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Brant Richardson Does it matter if she has already refinanced before? Also, I thought FHA loans were approved if home would be my primary residence as opposed to 2nd , 3rd etc investment rental which required 20%, no? Thanks so much for your response..

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    7y

    She can refinance as many times as she wants.  If she has refinanced since you cosigned and you didn't cosign on the refinance then your name should no longer be on the mortgage.

    I wrote "I believe" because I am not real familiar with the FHA rules, but after a quick search it does appear you can have other property as long as the FHA will be your primary residence. I am sure somebody who is more familiar will read this post and chime in.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Brant Richardson I'm still on the mortgage as I cosigned on refi as well. It's great to know that I can be taken off of mortgage if she does it again though. I was led to believe it was a really complicated process. I'd have to cover the closing costs for her as she isn't in a great financial position. Unless I can find a "no closing cost refi" with interest rates that she can handle.. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion!

  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Angel Valerio  Agree, I would get your name off the original loan, as it will definitely impact your ability to buy more properties solely in your name down the line.

    I think your strategy of owner occupying the next place , holding it for a year or two, and then moving into the next place is a good strategy. I've seen a lot of people do it over the years and become wealthy over time. Even without an FHA loan, you should be able to get a 5% down conventional loan as long as you owner occupy.

    Good luck!

    - Tom

  • Rental Property Investor · Medellin, Colombia · Member since 2016 · 231 posts · 215 votes
    7y

    @Angel Valerio - v tough to get neutral advice on insurance vs LLC. Lawyers will tell you create and llc while insurance agents will tell you opposite. I think it depends on the scale of your business but imo you can do fine with an umbrella policy until you build a large portfolio. (20> units)

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    7y

    If she is not in a good financial position she may not be approved for a refi without a cosigner.  I am in the same situation with a mortgage I cosigned for my mom, its a big one too at $600k. 

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Tom S. I thought that 5% down while occupying was the case. Thanks so much for the info!

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Farber I've been reading the debates on getting LLC or not and it's a coin toss. I haven't thought about scaling to that level yet but if ever I do, that's definitely LLC and prop management territory. Thanks so much for the info!

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Brant Richardson oh man.. Me too! 495k. Her credit is decent enough, she's just not good at saving. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Angel Valerio  Angel - any update on this thread?

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Tom S. Still looking into getting a refi to get my name of the loan.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.