Turnkey SFH vs REITs. Who wins?

8 Replies

I have one rental.  Its been doing awesome.  I have a great tenant.  I dont mind the extra work.  However, I dont want another job as a landlord to scale it.  There doesnt seem to be any good local property manager companies.  

So to all the pros out there who have some experience in one or the other or both, which do you prefer, turnkey sfh or REITs?

I like the idea of passive income (who doesnt right?) but not sure which would be a better long term investment, both in terms of growing in value and monthly income.

Thoughts? Opinions? Why you chose one or the other or both.

There are pros and cons to both, but given the situation you're in... I'd say go with a REIT for this one, just to get the diversification. Not so much to intentionally be diversified, but then if you have one of each, you can see which one you like better and which one performs better for you. Then whichever one that is, you can buy more of that one.

Originally posted by @Ali Boone :

There are pros and cons to both, but given the situation you're in... I'd say go with a REIT for this one, just to get the diversification. Not so much to intentionally be diversified, but then if you have one of each, you can see which one you like better and which one performs better for you. Then whichever one that is, you can buy more of that one.

That is a really good way to look at it, one that never came to mind.

This is a big reason I enjoy BP so much.  A bunch of people looking at the same thing, but all see something different 

I say do both, I don't think adding another SFH to your portfolio will create that much extra work. I also have a few REIT's in my 401k you should look at IIPR very interesting REIT pays a good dividend

@Joe M. DThere's 401K Index funds, Actively traded funds, REITS, AHP fund, International funds, Marijuana stocks, Prosper, Lending club, Groundfloor,Motif investments, invest in video game development cryptocurrency, etc . You can even day trade a little,options trading,swing trading and this dont even need to be all out in any of these, be prepared to lose money but if you do, make sure it does not sting too much. Who knows which one will give you great returns! ,no one knows the future...

Originally posted by @Joe M. :
Originally posted by @Ali Boone:

This is a big reason I enjoy BP so much.  A bunch of people looking at the same thing, but all see something different

Yeah! Well, and the flip side is there's a lot of... maybe not always so great [or at least hard to verify]... opinions, but at least it offers options! :)

Originally posted by @Ali Boone :
Originally posted by @Joe M.:

Yeah! Well, and the flip side is there's a lot of... maybe not always so great [or at least hard to verify]... opinions, but at least it offers options! :)

Ha the internet is a great place isnt it

Originally posted by @Joe M. :
Originally posted by @Joe M.:

Ha the internet is a great place isnt it 

Haha.