Would a family of 3 or 4 rather have a 2 car garage or shelves?

8 Replies

Hi,

I have a friend pretty new to real estate, but he recently bought a 4 bed 2 bath single family home with a 2 car garage (for like 2 sedans).  The catch is that to fit both cars, he'll have to clear out extra shelves and a workbench.  Personally, I think it's handy to have a workbench and some extra shelves. But as I think about it, for a family of 3 or 4 wanting to rent a house, do you think they'd probably want space to park 2 cars?  Just trying to get some ideas from an investment point of view (rather than as someone living in the house as a primary residence), since different families may have different preferences.

A 2 car garage rarely ends up with 2 cars in it....in Fl anyway.  Unless the house is in an area with severe winters/snow, I’d think most families would use part, if not all, of the garage for storage.

Does every house in the neighborhood have a two car? I would just list it for rent and let the people tell you what they prefer. No use changing it unless there is some serious negative feedback

Just leave it as is and if the tenant decides they want to park in the garage allow them to clean out one stall of the items. This way your offering choice and you don’t have to do the work. 

Thanks all, some great ideas here. Part of the issue is that a lot of the shelves/workbench/etc are screwed or nailed into the walls, so if my friend doesn't have the contractor do it now as part of the current job, it's going to be either more expensive (or a pain if he does it himself) to do it later.

And yes @Frank Geiger , a majority of the houses in the neighborhood have a 2 car garage I believe....Although now that I think about it, my friend could ask the local realtor to see what people would prefer.

@Bruce P. completely agree with @Wayne Brooks . With 1-2 children, and unless you have a shed, one side of the two car garage typically becomes a big storage area. Bikes, cleaning supplies for vehicles, tools, pesticides, fertilizer, larger outside toys, etc. Just leave it as is.

Speaking for a 4 person family having storage is always nice to have and parking one car in the driveway is normal where I live (Louisiana) and have lived (TX, VA, UT, AL).

90% of my rentals with garages never have a car parked inside. That's where the tenant puts all their junk.