Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Danni Catambay
Votes |
Ready to make my first offer!

Danni Catambay
Posted Oct 15 2019, 11:15

Hi fellow Investors,

I'm really excited to tell you that I'm ready to make my first offer on a first investment property! I'm nervous, scared, excited, eager -- so many emotions! I wanted to share with my community to see what insights you all came up with, and maybe get some encouragement to help me get over the fear of taking this huge step.

This is the property that I'm looking at:

https://www.realtor.com/reales...

It's a 3-1 built in 1964. It's got a full sized basement with parking for one vehicle (garage-basement?) and it sits on a 1-acre lot. The basement has a garage door and a separate entrance so it could reasonably be converted into living space for AirBnB'ing or a multi-family setup. The lot is large enough to divide and build a tiny house or a single-wide mobile home, of which there are many in the area. They're asking $169.9K and I'm planning to offer $147.5K and see if they bite. It's going to be a house hack, but what excites me most about it is that while it's immediately livable (an EXTREMELY hard find in my area for anything under $200K), it also has lots of potential room for expansion in a part of town that seems poised for a growth spurt in the near future. Here's some more background about the property and the market that I'm working in.

First, the rental income. Within 18 minutes of downtown Asheville (like my property-to-be) I've seen a LOT of people renting out bedrooms in their primary residences. For $450/mo you can get a tiny bedroom in a dump of a house that uses the living room for storage, shares the bathroom, and offers "furnishings" that look like they've been dumpster dived. For $750/mo you can get a similarly tiny room in a nicer house with shared bathroom and decent common area furnishings. I estimate that I can get $550/mo conservatively for two of the three bedrooms, which puts me at $1100/mo. If I were to rent the third bedroom out, that would get me up to $1650, which is well into the 1% rule range, even if I paid the full asking price, but this is a house hack...

My current living arrangement is $640/mo including utilities. So comparing this house, financed for a $800/mo payment and rented to capacity, will immediately reduce my living costs by $940/mo. Screaming deal!!!

Now, I know that I haven't budgeted maintenance or capEx into this equation, but if you take 1% of the purchase price as estimated maintenance you get $1470/yr for maintenance. So I put the first two months' savings into my maintenance fund and the next ten go towards a deposit for my next house. In two years I've recouped my initial down payment of $20K and I'm ready to start the process again.

As a first deal, I'm very, very nervous. My income is barely enough to live on so there's a lot riding on getting this right. But when viewed as a choice between positive cash flow and renting for an indeterminate period of time, I think it's  no-brainer. I just got prequalified so I'm ready to move...whenever I'm ready to move! Haha ^^

Thoughts? Input? Words of caution?

Thanks y'all! Really glad I could share here and tap your insights. 

Loading replies...