How do you find the right professionals for your deals?

10 Replies

I am just about ready to dive into investing head first and begin doing deals. I know which professionals I'll need (realtors/agents, mortgage brokers/bankers/lenders, inspector, attorney/escrow/title, contractors, accountant, management company), but I haven't the faintest idea on how to find the right people beyond endless internet searches and screening, or hoping to find the right professionals on BP in the specific area I want to invest in. This seems like the biggest hurdle for me, besides financing my deal. Where to begin and how to proceed?

@Ben Feder

Have you been attending local RE meetups? I get most of my referrals from other (more experienced) investors who I met at RE clubs.

This has worked very well for me thus far.

-Dan

Originally posted by @Daniel Haberkost :

@Ben Feder

Have you been attending local RE meetups? I get most of my referrals from other (more experienced) investors who I met at RE clubs.

This has worked very well for me thus far.

-Dan

I am just starting so I haven't been to any. I plan on going to more, but I did go to a seminar yesterday where they tried selling me on an investing bootcamp (which I decided to pass on).

Where do you find your local real estate meetups? On the meetup app/meetup.com or any other good places where you can find one? I think I heard BP has local groups but not sure where to access that.

@Ben Feder

One I found on BP, I’m on the app on my phone right now but I remember being able to find it fairly quickly from an actual computer.

You can also google "local REIA"

@Ben Feder BP & meetup is where you will find networking events in your area. For BP, when you click the BiggerPockets logo in the upper left-hand corner of the screen it will take you to your homepage/dashboard then at the lower right-hand you will see a section for local events. Once you connected with one, don't hesitate to ask for recommendations for the other members of your team, until you grow your list, and pick which one fits your criteria. I'm also just starting out and slowly building up my amazing team. Good luck!

@Ben Feder using a variety of methods (some mentioned in the above posts) start with one member - the real estate agent. From there all conversations should end with "based upon my goals, who do you recommend I should reach out to? "

And keep in mind, once you find a rock star agent, he or she will have a preferred lender, for example, and referrals to other members or even contacts/methods to find you those referrals

I always reach out via phone or email to see how quickly and professionally they respond. You'll be shocked by how many people don't return a phone call or email. If they don't, that makes it easy. If they do withing a reasonable time frame, I ask if they'll meet me for coffee and answer some questions. If you can get them to meet you and patiently and respectfully answer your questions, go from there. 

For me, it's vital that the people I work with communicate efficiently with me and are willing to answer as many questions as I have. If they don't do those things, they certainly won't improve once we are working together. 

Originally posted by @Corby Goade :

I always reach out via phone or email to see how quickly and professionally they respond. You'll be shocked by how many people don't return a phone call or email. If they don't, that makes it easy. If they do withing a reasonable time frame, I ask if they'll meet me for coffee and answer some questions. If you can get them to meet you and patiently and respectfully answer your questions, go from there. 

For me, it's vital that the people I work with communicate efficiently with me and are willing to answer as many questions as I have. If they don't do those things, they certainly won't improve once we are working together. 

Thanks. That makes lots of sense to weed out the duds and stay focused on the good ones. Where do you find the majority of the people you work with though (websites, BP, REI meetings, etc.)?

@Ben Feder If you have an agent helping you, start making offers man.  There will never be a perfect time.  You don''t need an accountant to land your first rental.  You don't need hours logged rubbing shoulders with mortgage brokers to get one either.  As @Nathanael Rojas alluded to above, it's very likely your agent will have a lender they have worked with in the past he/she can refer you to if you don't have one yet.  It's free to prequalify and you can change if you find a better option while you are under contract (I've done it).  I'm sure your agent also knows a few contractors they can pass you info for.  Just start man 

Originally posted by @Solomon Morris :

@Ben Feder If you have an agent helping you, start making offers man.  There will never be a perfect time.  You don''t need an accountant to land your first rental.  You don't need hours logged rubbing shoulders with mortgage brokers to get one either.  As @Nathanael Rojas alluded to above, it's very likely your agent will have a lender they have worked with in the past he/she can refer you to if you don't have one yet.  It's free to prequalify and you can change if you find a better option while you are under contract (I've done it).  I'm sure your agent also knows a few contractors they can pass you info for.  Just start man 

Thanks man. I like hearing things like that, that inspire me to action.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here