Connecticut Market for Buy & Hold

4 Replies

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to Real Estate investing and have been doing my due diligence but could use some pointers on a good market to invest in. I've recently read Millionaire Real Estate Investor, The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing (Brandon Turner) and most of David Green's new book on BRRRR Strategy.

I live in San Francisco but I grew up in Connecticut and would like for my first investment to be in Fairfield County (Preferably Stamford) but I don't want to make that decision for an emotional reason so I wanted to ask the Forum if this is a market that makes sense for a buy and hold approach.

I'm looking to BRRRR or House Hack a property and more focused on cash-flow than I am equity (Although both are obviously ideal). Are there any folks on here that currently have investments in Fairfield County? If so do you think it is a wise market to Buy & Hold?

Love to hear some thoughts.

do you care about appreciation? There's definitely some out there that can cash flow depending on the size of your downpayment but over the past year we've seen declines in value. Also the cash flow generally isn't high and very few even hit the minimum 1% rule in Stamford. If you go to Bridgeport, you'll see more favorable returns.
Overall it really comes down to what you're looking for in returns and location.

Hi Jason, I do care about appreciation but I'd say that's secondary to stable cash flow for where I'm looking to do.  I am looking for anywhere from 10% to 12% Cash on Cash return.  I have been looking at Stamford just because it was a desirable location for me if I were to House Hack but it didn't seem like a great area to cash flow.

In addition to Bridgeport and looking at Connecticut as a whole is there a particular area you would suggest I look into?  And do you have any investment properties in CT yourself?

@Joseph Palladino I personally like investing areas closer to central, Ct- areas like New Britain, Middletown, Manchester. The cash flow is decent and you can find great deals. With that said, certain towns are very street by street dependent. If you are ever considering any of those areas and have questions what streets are good/bad feel free to reach out- happy to help!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here