Best job to gain practical experience of industry

7 Replies

Hey everyone! I am totally new to this real estate world and am looking to acquire some practical experience before jumping in investing full time. That said, what is the best job to learn the industry?

Thanks!

Well, it depends on what you are envisioning when you say jumping into investing full time. But the most practical thing you can learn is construction. That being the basic handyman type work or mechanicals. Because if you are going to flip homes then that is really what you want to learn. Hope this helps. 

@Tucker Walser add to that list RE attorney (if you are student loan debt inclined), project manager, any sales position.

"Rental properties" is really vague. Apartments? SFR? Self-managed? Not? Doing your own maintenance? Not? Local to you at all? Not?

@Tucker Walser  

Yes, my answer would change. I would say you will gain the most experience and knowledge of the industry in a property management role. This will help you gain a lot of experience quickly and you can see the best trends and the way to manage your own properties.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here