Private Money Mortgage

4 Replies

First time investor. I have found a nice 100K house (3 bed 1 bath) in good shape that would rent for 1200 plus utilities, in my area. Currently, I would not be able to put the 25% down that the bank would require. Would it make sense to carry the loan with a private money lender? Would they typically take a 15% or lower down payment? I also already have a tenant that is looking to rent a house with this exact stats. for 1300 a month plus utilities. Any suggestions would be great. 

@Brady Moxham You should speak with a mortgage broker to see what options you could qualify for. Would you consider renting rooms or living there for a year? If so you could probably do a FHA loan as low as 3.5% or possibly a USDA loan (area specific) for 0 down. Private money wouldn't really be much of an option for a long term purchase unless it's basically family or friends who want to lend a large chunk of money at very favorable rates.

Like @Daniel Vandenbos mentioned, most private lenders are going to have a much shorter timeframe when they want to be paid back (12 months is pretty common) than a traditional bank mortgage. So it may not work for a long term solution, but you can ask your friends/family and see what their interests/goals are. Just make sure you have an exit plan before going into it. For instance, if you have a family member that’s willing to loan you the money but wants to be paid back in 5 years, you need to have a plan to refinance out of that loan before that time. 

@Daniel Vandenbos Thanks for the reply! This actually is a single family home and I do not want to move into it. Also I would only need the loan long enough to save up the down payment amount. Im only about 15k short. As I will be starting my first salaried job in December I would be able to easily save enough to cover that. After a year I would just refinance with a bank and pay off the private money. Would this make sense? The only thing I was thinking was doing a 20K line of credit to pay the down payment. 

Originally posted by @Brady Moxham :

@Daniel Vandenbos Thanks for the reply! This actually is a single family home and I do not want to move into it. Also I would only need the loan long enough to save up the down payment amount. Im only about 15k short. As I will be starting my first salaried job in December I would be able to easily save enough to cover that. After a year I would just refinance with a bank and pay off the private money. Would this make sense? The only thing I was thinking was doing a 20K line of credit to pay the down payment. 

How about finding a partner to come in on the deal with you. All they need is $15k and they are now a real estate investor. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here