Brian Edwards
  • Canton, Ga
Votes |
MBA: Is it worth it?

Brian Edwards
  • Canton, Ga
Posted Nov 19 2019, 18:10

Hello all,

My name is Brian Edwards. I am new to the forums but have been listening to the Biggerpockets podcast for about 3 years now. I will be graduating from the University of Georgia next month and have been trying to look ahead for the next 3-5 years.

Since I began listening to Biggerpockets, I have definitely caught the bug for REI. To prepare, I have been saving as much as possible from work and internships over the summer. I will be in a solid position to start house hacking (2 to 4 unit smaller multifamily) sometime next year.

However, I am running into a dilemma. Should I consider holding off on REI, building upon my nest egg for 2 more years, and go back to school in about 2 years for my MBA? Luckily, I will graduate undergrad with no debt. Additionally, the program I am considering costs ~$70,000. However, I would likely be able to get a graduate assistantship stipend that would lower that basis.

If I were to complete this program, the average salary is $120,000 with an average signing bonus of ~$20,000. Currently, I should have a starting salary of around $60,000 straight out of undergrad.

I realize this is a subjective question and there are many factors to consider given the timeframe. I figured this could be a good discussion topic as I am sure many others have considered an MBA at one point or another. Any and all advice is welcome!

Best regards,

Brian Edwards

Loading replies...