Investor, looking for Residential rental opportunities

Investor, looking for Residential rental opportunities

Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 10 votes

I'm looking for good opportunities for residential real estate investments (Rentals!). Example would be $100K purchase price with $1,000 monthly rent at the minimum. Cap rate equal to 8% or greater. We have bought in Lincoln, NE, and immediately cash flowed there. 

Looking for other locations to invest in, or to check out. Can anyone offer any advice or locations to look at?


Thanks in advance, excited to be here in BP!

3Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 131 posts · 183 votes
6y

@Colan Scheidenhelm I'm from Lincoln and currently living in/beginning to dip my toes into the long term rental business in Columbus. So,

1) I'll echo Remington and Zeke's enthusiasm for the Columbus market. I feel fortunate to be local and am looking forward to continuing the majority of my investing in my backyard,

2) out of curiosity, what areas of Lincoln are you investing in, what types of properties have you bought, what have the numbers looked like? My parents still live there and I've considered the area as one I might explore down the road due to some familiarity.

See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Hi @Colan Scheidenhelm, I would suggest looking into Columbus, OH! 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Colan Scheidenhelm I agree with @Zeke Liston Columbus, Ohio is a great market to invest in.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 131 posts · 183 votes
    6y

    @Colan Scheidenhelm I'm from Lincoln and currently living in/beginning to dip my toes into the long term rental business in Columbus. So,

    1) I'll echo Remington and Zeke's enthusiasm for the Columbus market. I feel fortunate to be local and am looking forward to continuing the majority of my investing in my backyard,

    2) out of curiosity, what areas of Lincoln are you investing in, what types of properties have you bought, what have the numbers looked like? My parents still live there and I've considered the area as one I might explore down the road due to some familiarity.

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Zeke Liston appreciate it, thanks for the reply!

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Remington Lyman thank you sir!

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Judge awesome, seems like Columbus is a great area.

    Lincoln - we have a converted 4-plex about 1.5 miles south of campus. Homes are older, most built around 1910 or so, so more maintenance may be required, but there are some pretty good opportunities!

  • Investor · Nashville · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    Colan,

    Are you looking to pay cash or get financing? Are you determined to do rentals? Will you have to pay a local property management company and pay for repairs out of your pocket and cover vacancies?

    I have operated differently through Home Sweet Home LLC property marketing and management for 20 years in middle Tennessee. Now moving into northern Alabama. If an investor pays cash I pay them 10% fixed. We cover all the repairs, maintenance and vacancies. If you put up $84,000 you receive 10% annual ROI. It is paid out $700 every month. We can do this because we become Joint Venture Partners with you and collect a non refundable down payment from the tenant. We also get a percentage of the deal when it eventually sells. We keep any positive cash flow above your $700.

    If you get financing and pay 20% down payment, we pay you 15% annual cash on cash ROI, paid monthly. Same deal, we cover all vacancies, repairs and maintenance.

    My investors have gotten their check every month for 20 years.

    Just thought I would throw out an alternative to rentals.

    Tim

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Tim Hendricks interesting concept. Something to think about. I'm leaning towards no, but I'll think it over.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 113 votes
    6y

    Hi Colan! 

    Florida is a really good market where you'll see $100,000 house = $1,200 min rent - $200,000 = $1,800 min rent etc... 

    This depends on location though !!! NOT THE RULE! 

    I would look into Deltona, Orange City, Eustis, Sanford, Lake Mary. 

    South Carolina is really good as well specially if you go to small towns outside of big cities. 

    I have a duplex in Hampton county, I would also recommend North Augusta and Columbia. 

    Hope this helps and good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 131 posts · 183 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Colan Scheidenhelm:

    @Daniel Judge awesome, seems like Columbus is a great area.

    Lincoln - we have a converted 4-plex about 1.5 miles south of campus. Homes are older, most built around 1910 or so, so more maintenance may be required, but there are some pretty good opportunities!

    The few times that I've looked, it did look like multifamilies near and around the campus area/downtown would be the best bet. I don't get back to Lincoln as much as I'd like, but it's amazing how much it's expanded, particularly on the west and south side of town. Seems like healthy/stable growth, too. 


    Are you local and managing the property yourself? Was curious how the property managers in town are.

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Colan Scheidenhelm:

    I'm looking for good opportunities for residential real estate investments (Rentals!). Example would be $100K purchase price with $1,000 monthly rent at the minimum. Cap rate equal to 8% or greater. We have bought in Lincoln, NE, and immediately cash flowed there. 

    Looking for other locations to invest in, or to check out. Can anyone offer any advice or locations to look at?


    Thanks in advance, excited to be here in BP!

     You can easily get places like that in the suburbs of Cleveland and they will need no work! 

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Judge, we have a property management company doing it for us. They're good, and we trust them. 

    We like the location, and the growth seems good. Plus, we love that it's a college town.

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Angelica M Garzon thanks for the tip! I'll look into those locations as well!

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Tom Ott, how is the rental market where you're talking about in the 'burbs of Cleveland?

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Colan Scheidenhelm:

    @Tom Ott, how is the rental market where you're talking about in the 'burbs of Cleveland?

     Doing very well! Check it out. 

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Tom Ott thank you sir, I will do just that. Appreciate your feedback!

  • Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 123 posts · 65 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Colan Scheidenhelm:

    I'm looking for good opportunities for residential real estate investments (Rentals!). Example would be $100K purchase price with $1,000 monthly rent at the minimum. Cap rate equal to 8% or greater. We have bought in Lincoln, NE, and immediately cash flowed there. 

    Looking for other locations to invest in, or to check out. Can anyone offer any advice or locations to look at?


    Thanks in advance, excited to be here in BP!

    Colan, Cleveland is one of the best markets for cash flow and it’s great for a long term buy and hold. Property prices are pretty inexpensive here and that could be another reason why Cleveland is a great market. 

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Ben Halabi thanks! Love hearing that from more than one person. Rental market is also good I'm assuming?

  • Property Manager · Tampa FL · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Hey Colan!  Tampa is a great Market. I have managed over 100 rentals for investors here.  In the past 8 years rent prices just continue to rise even though interest rates are low. Let me know if you need any info on the Tampa market!

  • Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Michael Zick thanks for reaching out. I'll follow up if we look out there. Does it meet the criteria I was talking about in the original post? Thanks!

  • Property Manager · Tampa FL · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Yes definatly!  Many opportunities but they go fast so you have to move quick to snag them.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 956 posts · 600 votes
    6y

    @Colan Scheidenhelm you can hit that in OKC if you work with the right team. Bread and butter is closer to 80k, but wait and move quickly and you can snag something at 100k! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 207 posts · 111 votes
    6y

    I will also agree on the cleveland bandwagon!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.