Newbie investor looking for the best REI books for beginners

14 Replies

Hello everyone, I am 28 years old and just getting into real estate. My short terms goal for the next 1-3 years is to obtain 1-2 multi family properties to rent out. I am planning on saving 20-25K for my down payment on my first property. My market that I am interested in is Philadelphia, and Easton area. I am looking for the best books to buy to give me the proper steps, info on real estate terminology, how to analyze properties, etc. i have listened to bigger pockets podcast on the matter, am attending webinars, and also reading the bigger pockets article for newbie investors. But any book suggestions would help! I am looking to spend a few months just gaining knowledge so I can be prepared to make a move once I find the best deal and save my down payment. Thank you in advance !

Hi Ashley!!  Welcome to the real estate world - you're going to absolutely LOVE it.  The book that really covered all the basics for me was The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner.  Of course BiggerPockets has a ton of books, but this book was a great starting point.  Highly recommend them all!

Taxes taxes taxes!!

Get The  Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor: Powerful Techniques Anyone Can Use to Deduct More, Invest Smarter, and Pay Far Less to the IRS!

By Authors: Amanda Han, Matthew MacFarland

It's always surprising to me how rarely this book is ever mentioned and or tax strategy books in general!! This book has been an eye opener for me on how to save money on taxes and how not to give away your precious funds back to the government.

I would suggest ordering it from bigger pockets because you get the below bonus PDFs

https://get.biggerpockets.com/taxbook/

Bonus #1: What Records to Keep and Why

Bonus #2: When to Call Your CPA

Bonus #3: CPA Fireround!

Bonus #4: Retirement Accounts That Can Be Self-Directed

Bonus #5: Important Updates to the 2018 Tax Code

@Ashley Crump

I really took a lot out of this book when I first got started a couple of years ago. I have the same strategy as you to start with small multifamily properties. I bought my first quad in Mount Airy last May. Would be happy to share my experiences : )

Just keep in mind that this book was written before the 2008 recession so the focus on appreciation is a little overdone but I think the point is just to get you to think.

Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes, and Quads: The Fastest and Safest Way to Real Estate Wealth

Book by Larry B. Loftis

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here