Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tom Wilson
  • Murrieta, CA
Votes |
New to Real Estate Investing...what should I do with $300K?

Tom Wilson
  • Murrieta, CA
Posted Jan 23 2020, 17:21

Like the title states, I've got $300K (or will in a few weeks when we close escrow on our current home).  I've been studying real estate investment books for the last several months and am a little overloaded by all the options.  Honestly, I'm afraid of making a mistake starting out.  

I currently live in Southern California and don't like the Real Estate market out here.  Seems like the prices are near the top and from what I observed (I honestly haven't researched it in depth), it seems like the renter's rights outweigh the owner's rights (just had a friend in San Diego take 6 months to evict a tenant who wouldn't pay the rent).  I think I'm leaning toward investing across the border in AZ or NV which are within a 4-hour driving distance if I need to go over and check on my properties once a month.

I feel like I'm a bit at a crossroads at the moment starting out. Again, it feels like there's an infinite amount of options. I'm looking for somewhere to park my cash and get a return. Not sure if I should go for a standard SFR, multi-family setup, or go for something bigger, like buying an apartment complex. Reading through some of the books and postings here, some people start small and work up to a cash flow that allows them to get bigger options like an apartment. I'm not sure if it's wise to start small, get a feel for real estate investments with a single small, $100K SFR and then work up over time to something bigger after I get a feel for what I'm doing.

Would love to get the insight of the community.  Trying to navigate a course, but not sure what direction I should point in.

Loading replies...