Financing a mortgage under $30k

Financing a mortgage under $30k

Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 3 votes

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to BP and new real estate investor, are you guys familiar with mortgage companies that are willing to finance properties under $30,000? I haven't been able to find a company that does.

2Reply
150 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Greentown, IN · Member since 2013 · 111 posts · 10 votes
13y

For our last few deals we have found that "local" bank guy! This makes all the differance in the world. He does any loan amount plus rehab line of credit if needed. Also when I want to make an offer on a property he gives an approval letter very quickly. You will have to have a higher percentage rate. But ours is at 6.25 which is still great in my mind

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2012 · 108 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Berdens I haven't either. I have purchased cashed and refinanced them for under the amount but not purchased. Couldn't find a hard money lender either for that amount.

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    The conventional minimum loan amount is $50,000. A conventional loan is a loan that is edible to sell into Fannie/Freddie. A small community bank or credit union might have a smaller loan amount which they portfolio. In both cases, it is a very very small group who are less than the $50k. The group is microscopic for less than $35k.

    You might have to approach this a little different and see if you can offer up more than one property to get into a higher loan amount. Best bet for an out of the box structure or flexible structure will be the local banks or a private lender.

  • Real Estate Investor · IA · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 8 votes
    13y

    We have purchased 3 properties at or under $30,000 this year and 3 that were between$30,000 and $35,000. You might want to try a local bank, that's what we did and had no problem gettings loans that ranged from $15,000 to $34,000 along with a line of credit for rehabbing. Good Luck to you :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 732 votes
    13y

    It's nice that you have those under 30k properties in Florida! What area of FL specifically are you looking at?

    Another thing you might want to look into is peer to peer lending I know there are at least a couple of threads on that here, and people that have used those services successfully.

    Of course interest will be higher than a traditional mortgage loan, and a short term ...but it could work well for a flip. Might be tougher for buy and hold.

    Also the advantage would be you would be more competitive because you would be purchasing with cash versus a loan. The seller will be more likely to take your offer.

  • Property Manager · Greentown, IN · Member since 2013 · 111 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    For our last few deals we have found that "local" bank guy! This makes all the differance in the world. He does any loan amount plus rehab line of credit if needed. Also when I want to make an offer on a property he gives an approval letter very quickly. You will have to have a higher percentage rate. But ours is at 6.25 which is still great in my mind

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Pearland, TX · Member since 2013 · 163 posts · 32 votes
    13y

    Mark Bradford That is still better than Private Money rates!! I would go for that percentage rate you are getting

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 732 votes
    13y

    Sounds like a great deal Mark....I guess finding a "local" guy is the key!

  • Real Estate Investor · Orange, CA · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Not sure if you are asking your question in a general nature or specific to a property you are interested in, but for smaller amounts such as that, it might be possible to get some owner financing, or all of it financed by the owner.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Try aimloan.com, their limit is $25,000.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Dawn A.:
    Try aimloan.com, their limit is $25,000.

    quick search returned their site and each subsequent site was "complaint or buyer beware" warning.

  • Property Manager · Greentown, IN · Member since 2013 · 111 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    I just called local banks and asked what they had to offer someone doing what we do. I also do 12 month interest only for that 6.25%. We start with 20% down for the purchase. Then give him an evaluation of the rehab costs. He will repay me the 20% after i return receipts to him then allow me to pull from the line for the rehab cost as long as i show receipts. It is a huge blessing to the business. Its not aways smooth there are bumps in the road on some deals but overall great asset to our team.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Pearland, TX · Member since 2013 · 163 posts · 32 votes
    13y

    I wonder what the credit unions are doing these days with mortgage financing. Will need to check them also.

  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2012 · 108 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Guys I was able to secure a line of credit with a bank secured by 3 properties I owned outright. Maybe should shop around. What's a ball park figure of a construction line of credit to ask for and also is it usually secured or unsecured

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Thanks for all your responses, this is great information. The properties I'm looking at are in the Palm Beach and Broward county in south florida. I'm work on building a relationship with a local banker. I'm going to look into one of the credit unions. I have a feeling they might be more flexible than most.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    13y

    Local banks and Private capital. Nothing that is getting sold to Fannie or Freddie.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Berdens Julceus:
    Thanks for all your responses, this is great information. The properties I'm looking at are in the Palm Beach and Broward county in south florida. I'm work on building a relationship with a local banker. I'm going to look into one of the credit unions. I have a feeling they might be more flexible than most.

    I LOVE Palm Beach. I go down a couple of times per year. If you find a steal on a deal down there in the area, let me know. I would like to be on Lake worth or near Worth Ave. I know I am not gonna get a deal down in that area that I would get here in NE Ohio, but hey, never hurts to throw it out there. LOL!

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    George P. No, Aimloan.com is legitimate. I've gotten 3 loans from them and one was for my own personal residence.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, CA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    I just looked on aimloan.com and their minimum loan was $40,000 for an investment property in NJ. 

  • Montgomery, AL Investor · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 56 votes
    8y

    "You can never go wrong with five" a seasoned transportation broker once told me. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    @Berdens Julceus Alright I have seen posts regarding this several times. Not sure if the whole Fannie/Freddie 50k loan limit is a thing or not but I have a bank that will do loans with a 35k loan minimum. They may go lower but you get a higher interest rate below that. I’m closing Friday, my interest rate is 5.625 30 year fixed. My loan amount is under 50k. Only lender fee is 770 underwriting fee. The bank is US bank. They lend in almost or all 50 states. Only caveat is they only go up To 5 loans so if you got more this won’t work.
  • MI · Member since 2014 · 118 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    The problem is aimloan.com doesn't lend to LLC's. None of my investment properties are owned in my name, they are all owned by my various LLC's.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.