Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Roee Hazut
Votes |
successful RE investors told me to not invest out of state

Roee Hazut
Posted Jul 8 2020, 20:42

Recently I had the opportunity to speak with two investors, they are both in their 60’s and both of them have managed to create a great financial freedom for themselves and their families. I was really happy to have this moment to learn from them and to educate my self.

Because the market here is at the top of the k wave it doesn't make sense for me to buy my first real estate investment here (BRRR), so I asked both of them what they thought about investing in other states, in markets with lots of opportunity right now. The answer from both of them was

"I never invest out of state,” and one of them even told me that "it’s a really bad idea.” That was very discouraging for me because in my eyes they are both very successful and they have created exactly what my vision is, as far as the real estate. Because of this it was strong for me to hear that while I’m creating new relationships in other markets in other states and looking for my first deal.

l already read the book "Long Distance Real Estate Investing" by David M. Green (really important one). At the beginning of the book he explains exactly this about the older generation, that some them have a “paradigm" of not investing out of state.

Of course there is a risk in every investment and there are a few additional parts in the puzzle of long distance investing that need to be mastered in order to lower the risk.

I would love to hear your opinions and experiences with investing in other states. If this is my first deal is the consideration different when thinking about investing out of state?

Do you also prefer to invest only in your local market like many people or do you work wherever the opportunity is?

Thank you in advance!

Roee

Loading replies...