Snohomish County, WA Investor looking for advice

Snohomish County, WA Investor looking for advice

Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 6 votes

Hey everyone!

This is the first time I have made a post of my own, but I feel like I'm at a bit of a dead end. I started a construction company last October and work as a subcontractor for a general about 45 minutes north of Seattle. Since I own my own company, I can't find a bank that will work with me for anything since my business hasn't reached 2 years yet. I have roughly 120k equity in my home and can only tap into a small amount of that money based off of my wife's part-time income. I have tried smaller credit unions and banks around my area and nobody that I have found is able to loan to someone with a brand new company. 


My goal is to flip houses and then rentals as my capital builds over time. Is my best route to use hard/private money in order to begin now or is there another way to access the equity in my home that I haven't thought of?

And for hard/private money - I might have a bit of a chicken and egg mentality. I have been waiting to find a real estate agent because I don't have the ability to make an offer right now, but I think that if I had a good deal I would probably be able to find someone who has money. Should I start looking for deals or am I wasting my time (and worse, an agent's time). 


We have no substantial capital to bring to the table and are not willing to move in order to house hack since we have 3 kids. 

Thanks in advance everyone! 

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 10 votes
6y

Set up your funding source ahead of time, so when a deal comes along you can jump on it.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Set up your funding source ahead of time, so when a deal comes along you can jump on it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 540 posts · 285 votes
    6y

    @Brian Powers

    Hard Money Lenders base their approvals specifically on the house & deal/equity, but get to know them personally in advance - the deals you've done, so your 3C's: Capacity, Capital, and Character can be vetted. When you have that real good deal ready you can have any broker make the offer, your HML will also have those connections to help you.

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Teresia Sayler thanks for the input! I see you are in Snohomish too, I'd love to connect! I know a lot of REIA meetings are online right now but if you know of any networking events in the area, let me know =)

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Frank Hinck thanks for the reply! The hard money lenders I have found mostly want either skin in the game or experience investing (a few deals done already). Honestly though this has all been online research so I’ll have to call a couple and see what I can get going.

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Unfortunately most everything's online right now. But you could always keep chatting here. Or chat direct with me.

    More of a buy and hold, haven't done flips, or major rehabs. I've been a landlord for over 25 years, so that's kind of my thing. Always happy to chat real estate though. Think about the real estate association of Puget sound if you haven't heard of them yet. Lots of networking possibilities there, so they're online most of the time if not all the time too lately.

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 540 posts · 285 votes
    6y

    @Brian Powers

    We Lend from our free cash and HELOC, so let us know, we lived in Green Lake. Seattle 2015-17, PM or text me.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 333 posts · 459 votes
    6y

    @Brian Powers

    You might consider mobile homes (in parks) flips. I’ve been doing it for 20 years. Way less money than real estate (they’re considered personal property like a car or boat), way less competition, easy to buy and sell, quick turnarounds, and profit margins of 50%+ instead of 10-15% with real estate. Like anything else, you have to know what you’re doing

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Jerry Lucker thanks for the input! Two weeks ago I was building a deck on a mobile home and the thought definitely went through my mind. I know you need a special license for parts of mobile home work but to the best of my understanding, most of the parts that require the license are completed once the home is placed, is that correct?

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 10 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jerry Lucker:

    @Brian Powers

    You might consider mobile homes (in parks) flips. I’ve been doing it for 20 years. Way less money than real estate (they’re considered personal property like a car or boat), way less competition, easy to buy and sell, quick turnarounds, and profit margins of 50%+ instead of 10-15% with real estate. Like anything else, you have to know what you’re doing

  • Rental Property Investor · Everett, WA · Member since 2015 · 457 posts · 386 votes
    6y

    @Brian Powers I would suggest you continue save money, narrow your focus to a specific strategy and build your network.  None of these things are revolutionary ideas that will allow you to start immediately, but they will lower your risk and help you to be as successful as possible once you get started on a project.  You need to take action in order to be successful, but taking action can be as simple as consistently saving money, building up your credit score and reaching out to other investors, lenders & banks.

    Networking will allow you to get to know other investors who you could potentially bring you a deal, financing or partner with on a project.  We all seem to struggle with being patient but I think that is ultimately what leads to long term success.  Don't forget this is a marathon not a sprint and your focus must remain on doing the actions that will bring you long term success.

    Best of luck,

    John

  • Rental Property Investor · Everett, WA · Member since 2013 · 389 posts · 222 votes
    6y

    @Teresia Sayler are your rentals in Snohomish? I’m looking at a 5plex there. I have lots of multi families in Everett and am hesitant to move outside of my core.

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Mine are in Everett.  Haven't bought for about 4yrs, due to outrageous pricing.  I've seen multi in Snohomish, but my minimum requirements and conservative ways just don't compel me to make a move here.  I don't want to have to put so much down to get cash flow.

    I did pick up a single family in Everett last summer and got a screaming deal, as it was a friend who just wanted out of the loan, as he relocated and didn't want to be a landlord any more.

  • Rental Property Investor · Everett, WA · Member since 2013 · 389 posts · 222 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Teresia Sayler:

    Mine are in Everett.  Haven't bought for about 4yrs, due to outrageous pricing.  I've seen multi in Snohomish, but my minimum requirements and conservative ways just don't compel me to make a move here.  I don't want to have to put so much down to get cash flow.

    I did pick up a single family in Everett last summer and got a screaming deal, as it was a friend who just wanted out of the loan, as he relocated and didn't want to be a landlord any more.

    Everett is the place to be in my opinion. We have 15 multifamily buildings there and are buying more. Interested in selling any of yours? Feel free to DM me if you are interested.

  • Investor / Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    6y

    I know a private/hard money lender that will lend based on the equity of your primary residence, as long as the loan is for business purpose (ie investing). They only lend here in WA. PM me your email and I can make the introduction.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.