RE Investing - Start Up Strategy - Opinions & Guidance Requested

RE Investing - Start Up Strategy - Opinions & Guidance Requested

Investor · South Florida · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes

Good day! I’m new to RE investing and have a unique experience presented to me. As being well-experienced RE investors here on BiggerPockets, your opinions and guidance are much appreciated.

BACKGROUND – I have been a professional healthcare IT strategist/consultant/project manager for more than two decades. Being a principal of two consulting firms, I am now desiring to change my career focus to RE investing. Over the past year my business (100% owned) did very well with 8 large projects and I have been rewarded with a windfall profit of $1.2MM of which I want to start RE investing.

REAL ESTATE EXPERIENCE – Over the past 35 years I have purchased and lived in 6 houses in different parts of the U.S. One of the houses was a 4/2.5/2 purchased in Ventura County, California for $535,000 in 2010. I designed and contracted a complete remodel of the house which also included some wall demo and kitchen reconfiguration. The remodel cost was $112,000 and house was sold in 2016 for $865,000 after being on MLS for two days. There remodel provided an ARV valuation increase of ~$175,00 and the remainder of profit increase was market appreciation.

LONG-TERM GOAL – By 2025 I want to be invested in commercial multifamily properties with more than 40 units. To get there, I need to gain the experience in RE transactions, functioning as a landlord (with a PM company) and build my investment fund to multiples of where it’s at today.

SHORT-TERM GOAL – I have been studying RE investing for about one month and I'm interested to start with detached single family and multifamily houses. I like the concepts of Wholesaling, Fix & List, Fix & Flip and BRRRR. Since I relocated to South Florida in 2018, I have been watching the RE market here and this week I'm starting to build my Pro Team. Over the next 5 years I want to build this business to the point where I can move into commercial RE investments.

QUESTIONS –

1. For my short-term goals, which strategy would you recommend to quickly gain experience and build the investment fund? Or would should it be a progression moving from one operating mode to another? Such as: Wholesaling in 2020/21 ---> Fix & List in 2021 ---> BRRRR in 2021/22

2. Assumption - we have a fairly stable RE market over the next decade. With 4 or 5 years of RE investment by 2025, do you believe that I should stay with single and multifamily (retail) houses or move into the commercial RE space?

Thank you!

1Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 247 votes
    6y

    Hi Jeffrey! If it were me, I'd skip right past wholesaling and fix and flip and go straight to buy and hold. The first two are very much a day job, whereas buy and hold is a mostly passive investment.

    When you do BRRRR, you're essentially doing fix and flip, you just keep it instead of selling it.

    Another question for you is "how involved do you want to be on a day to day basis? How many hours/week do you want to put into this?"

    It looks like you have a nice chunk of cash. You could invest that in multifamily now via a syndication (I have someone I can connect you with)...and do absolutely nothing and make a nice return on it...

    Or you can go out and find your own single family deals, renovate them, and end up with a much better return (but more work).

    I live in CO and buy houses in the southeast. I might buy something for 40K, put 10K into it, and rent it for $800/month. ARV 75K, so I created 25K in equity along with the monthly cashflow. I like doing the extra work of finding the deal and renovating it myself to create that result.

    Kind of throwing a lot at you here...is this helpful? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.