Should have definitely learned a little before jumping in!

2 Replies

Well you think after after buying a 30,000 sq foot commercial space that has caused nothing but stress I would have said hey let me get educated on this real estate thing. Nah! I then turned around and bought a mixed use space, commercial on the first floor and one apartment each on the 2nd and 3rd floor. Cash on cash return? Cap rate? ROI? Ha! No clue what any of that was when I jumped into these "deals" a few years ago. I have to say if it wasn't for BiggerPockets I would still have no clue what I'm doing! Now we have 4 properties with 9 doors. But still feel like a newb! Oh btw anyone want to buy a 30,000 sq foot commercial space?!

Originally posted by @Gregory Dillon :

Well you think after after buying a 30,000 sq foot commercial space that has caused nothing but stress I would have said hey let me get educated on this real estate thing. Nah! I then turned around and bought a mixed use space, commercial on the first floor and one apartment each on the 2nd and 3rd floor. Cash on cash return? Cap rate? ROI? Ha! No clue what any of that was when I jumped into these "deals" a few years ago. I have to say if it wasn't for BiggerPockets I would still have no clue what I'm doing! Now we have 4 properties with 9 doors. But still feel like a newb! Oh btw anyone want to buy a 30,000 sq foot commercial space?!

I'd much rather do what you did and start buying immediately than be one of the people who gets stuck in analysis paralysis (I guess a happy medium would be ideal but that's not nearly as fun). 

I bought my first duplex a month after learning about real estate investing while I was still in college. Did I have a clue what I was doing? No. But it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. 

Sounds like you're doing just fine and have likely learned quite a bit. How has the commercial property weathered the virus?

Dan

Thanks man yea things are going well. Just hired a property manager today so that will definitely help! The tenant in the commercial building weathered it all pretty well. Now if I can get the two other floors rented then I could breath a little easier!