Expat in Japan looking to get into Real Estate

Expat in Japan looking to get into Real Estate

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I would like to transition to Real Estate and move my family to the US in the next year or two. I am hoping to get some guidance as to whether there is any way I can get started remotely from overseas in some capacity. I am thinking as an employee to begin with as I have heard that is a good way to learn the basics and get a feel for the industry but I am open to other ideas. My background is in small business operations management and b2b sales.

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Louis Preston

You would need to find a good CPA and attorney that is well versed in working with foreign investors (DM me if you need recommendations of professionals our partners have used). Secondly, you will need to figure out what your goal is (cashflow, replacing a job's income etc.) and find a vehicle to achieve that. For example; if you want to generate residual income, starting a fix and flip business is most likely not going to be the best real estate vehicle to achieve your goals.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Louis Preston

    You would need to find a good CPA and attorney that is well versed in working with foreign investors (DM me if you need recommendations of professionals our partners have used). Secondly, you will need to figure out what your goal is (cashflow, replacing a job's income etc.) and find a vehicle to achieve that. For example; if you want to generate residual income, starting a fix and flip business is most likely not going to be the best real estate vehicle to achieve your goals.

  • Attorney · Tokyo, Japan · Member since 2016 · 184 posts · 145 votes
    5y

    @Louis Preston - I'm also in Japan, and have been investing here and in the US. I know a handful of other Japan-based investors. Let's try to set up a video chat and discuss, if you're interested. Always happy to talk all things REI. I've gotta run now, but would like to chat later.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 50 votes
    5y

    Hi @Louis Preston,

    Yes! I'd start by working with someone in the real estate industry and learn the ropes from them. That way you're providing value to them, and they provide value to you.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi charles corrilo,

    Thanks for the reply! Any pointers for work I could start out doing that experienced investors would value?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.