• Andover, MA
Votes |
Advice: Offering on first duplex- buyer says tenant missed rent

Brian DePamphilis
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Andover, MA
Posted Nov 27 2020, 09:36

Hi All,

I'm in the process of in an offer on my first duplex. It's a duplex and will cashflow nicely in a growing area. It is in decent shape, and has tenants already which I'd prefer to keep in place at this time as I get up-to-speed becoming a landlord. One unit is tenant-at-will, lived there over 3 years and per the sellers agent, has always paid on time and in full at market rates...good news. The other unit, I was told upon my asking, "had an issue [paying rent] at beginning of covid when they were laid off, but are back on track now". I don't have much info other than that. The seller already used the last month rent that they'd had collected at the beginning, and their lease will be up Dec 31st (right around when I would be closing). It sounds like they expressed interest in staying, and I'd prefer to not have a vacancy right after I'd buy it. I'd be interested in what people recommend. Should I dig in deeper and ask more questions about the missed rent prior to making an offer? If I get the place, should I try to retain them and have them sign a new lease (providing another first/last)? Or just try to rent it to new tenants and risk a month or two of vacancy. Just curious if anyone has gone through anything like this. I'd be a first time landlord and have never inherited tenants, so not sure on what questions to ask. Massachusetts is also a very tenant-friendly state, so if they refused to leave/pay I know the process could get complicated and costly.  Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Loading replies...