Favorite Way of Finding Off Market Deals (for free)

33 Replies

Hey y'all! I'm putting together a list of some free or very cheap ways of finding off market deals and wanted to reach out to the BP community to see what are some of your favorite ways you've found off market deals?

Networking (can be done inexpensively but takes time)

Scrubbing publicly available property tax records (Mailers cost a little bit but are not crazy expensive)

Here are a few free options. More tedious and time consuming but effective and a great way to get started. 

1. County tax records. Search for absentee owners, or by property type (multifamily or non residential).

2. Search local "for rent" listings on Facebook, Craigslist, etc (the more unprofessional the better, ads with no or poor pictures are a good place to start).

3. "Driving for dollars". Driving around and finding "for rent signs"

4. Call your city and see if the have a "landlord list". Cities often will have a list of all (or some) of the rentals in the city and associated landlords contact information. 

5. Networking with everyone you know. Make sure you know what your looking for, be specific when telling people. 

Figure out what works for you in your area, continue to grow your network!

Originally posted by @Taylor L. :

Networking (can be done inexpensively but takes time)

Scrubbing publicly available property tax records (Mailers cost a little bit but are not crazy expensive)

Thanks for the ideas! I really appreciate it. 

Originally posted by @Antoine Martel :

Hi Logan, 

Here are some ways on how to get of market deals:

1. Wholesalers - Find their website or get into their email list

2. Property Management Companies - They have thousands of owners they work for so they know who and when they are going to sell so they can send you deals.

3. Turnkey Companies - Like Martelturnkey.com

4. Marketing - Do your own cold calling, email and texting.

#2 is very clever! I'll definitely add it to my list! Thank you

Originally posted by @Lucas Miles :

Here are a few free options. More tedious and time consuming but effective and a great way to get started. 

1. County tax records. Search for absentee owners, or by property type (multifamily or non residential).

2. Search local "for rent" listings on Facebook, Craigslist, etc (the more unprofessional the better, ads with no or poor pictures are a good place to start).

3. "Driving for dollars". Driving around and finding "for rent signs"

4. Call your city and see if the have a "landlord list". Cities often will have a list of all (or some) of the rentals in the city and associated landlords contact information. 

5. Networking with everyone you know. Make sure you know what your looking for, be specific when telling people. 

Figure out what works for you in your area, continue to grow your network!

Great advice! I really appreciate you taking the time to drop your thoughts! 

Time Intensive but Money Non-Intensive: Driving for dollars, door knocking, cold calling, networking (wholesalers, investors, agents, property managers, etc.)

Money Intensive but Time Non-Intensive: Direct Mail, Paid Ads on Google, FB, TV, etc

@Logan Jorns

Building relationships with property managers.

My mom owns a very large property management company and she hears first hand when owners want to sell.

Also building relationships with agents that move and sell properties you are looking for. OR who invest them selves

I've sourced 100% of my deals in Southern California since 2016 from SEO marketing. 

Craigslist Mom & Pop landlord listings ~ Netting $90k on a quick wholetail we closed on this month from a simple call we made on one of the sellers' other rentals

Beginner Wholesalers ~ In the beginning, wholesalers are hustling to create appointments and mutually beneficial solutions for potential sellers; they need to know they can count on a strong, reliable buyer so their deal doesn't fall apart before closing. Network and become their go-to investor who can put a second set of eyes on the deal, help them negotiate, and provide a seamless disposition option for them.

@Logan Jorns

Best way for me was to be kind to neighbors and let them know I buy houses. Bought 3 of my 12 properties this way. One neighbor had a large branch on the roof. I already had my ladder out so offered to pull off house. About 1.5 years later, I contacted to see if interested in selling. She remembered me and was eager to sell the house.

@Logan Jorns

Love this thread - did my first Direct Mail campaign- found the list via MLS/tax records and organized via owner occupancy over 15+ years. I'm an agent-investor, so super easy via the MLS.

Love the property management tip!!

Facebook private groups! Find the market you are interested in, search real estate groups, and sometimes some are free and some are not!

Best of Luck! 

Originally posted by @Tucker Cummings :

Time Intensive but Money Non-Intensive: Driving for dollars, door knocking, cold calling, networking (wholesalers, investors, agents, property managers, etc.)

Money Intensive but Time Non-Intensive: Direct Mail, Paid Ads on Google, FB, TV, etc

Thanks for providing your insight! 

Originally posted by @Patrick Flanagan :

@Logan Jorns

Building relationships with property managers.

My mom owns a very large property management company and she hears first hand when owners want to sell.

Also building relationships with agents that move and sell properties you are looking for. OR who invest them selves

Love this tip! Thank you :) 

Originally posted by @Davartay Miller :

Facebook private groups! Find the market you are interested in, search real estate groups, and sometimes some are free and some are not!

Best of Luck! 

Love this outside of the box thinking. Would have never thought of this. Thanks for the insight! 

Originally posted by @Sohail Basha :

@Taylor L. Hi. New to this. But what do tax records have to show?

You can get a good idea of which properties are likely owned by out of state investors who have been holding for a long time. Or whatever kind of list you want to build.

Originally posted by @Sohail Basha :

@Taylor L. Would it be okay if I messaged you directly with some of these questions?

Sure thing. Just know that if you ask questions publicly to lots of people you can get more than one perspective!