What do I need to know before buying my first multi family?

What do I need to know before buying my first multi family?

Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 14 votes

I'm thinking about selling or doing a refi on my rental home and getting the largest MF complex that I can afford (most likely 6-10 units.) I'd like to do this soon but I know that education will improve my returns. What books should I read, what topics should I familiarize with and search on BP? What are the biggest pitfalls? I'm relatively uneducated in tax, finance, and running a complex.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Matthew CrivelliBusiness Member
Lender · MA · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

Here is a little advice- don't listen to tenant sob stories then feel bad and rent to them. They will smell the weakness and take full advantage of the situation. Do full screenings on everyone credit and back round and make sure to have a professional draw up the lease agreements.

Freedom Capital Funding, LLC523 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brad HammondBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    5y

    Hey @Corbin Lane, congrats on scaling up!  When looking at properties of any size, just look at the numbers.  If you do the math, the math will tell you what to do.  You should know the neighborhood numbers (cap rates, rents, property values, etc.) inside and out.  I was just rereading "What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow" by Frank Gallinelli and that does a great job of going over all the formulas involved in real estate investing. 

    Also, keep in mind that commercial lending is slightly different than residential so know the nuances of that and talk to a few good commercial lenders.  Since you already have an investment property I'd be willing to bet you know more than you are giving yourself credit for.  You got this! 

  • Matthew CrivelliBusiness Member
    Lender · MA · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Here is a little advice- don't listen to tenant sob stories then feel bad and rent to them. They will smell the weakness and take full advantage of the situation. Do full screenings on everyone credit and back round and make sure to have a professional draw up the lease agreements.

    Freedom Capital Funding, LLC523 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Brad Hammond thanks for referring me to that book, it looks interesting. I noticed that the author started his own deal analysis app and I might try that as well.

    @Matthew Crivelli thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Suggest you connect with a good commercial RE agent and a good commercial mortgage broker as funding is different. 

    You will need 20-25% down, 6-18 months PI or PITI reserves and net worth equal to or greater than loan value.

    You also need to prove experience as a LL 


    the book mentioned above is great :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    This would be an obstacle for me. My equity is most of my net worth. I was hoping to do 20% down but could scale back my goals to accommodate 25%.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 661 posts · 389 votes
    5y

    @Corbin 

    @Corbin Lane You may make it easier for yourself if you can do a 1031 exchange into the property. That leverages your equity from the original property and then add what you can to the downpayment. Keep trying and maybe the 1031 exchange service will have some good advice for you as well. Once you have closed the transaction, take advantage of the tax and cash-flow benefits of a cost segregation study...this could give you a sizeable cash-flow in taxes you will not have to pay going forward. You can do this, don't give up. 

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I agree with @Brad Hammond - "What every real estate investor needs to know about cash flow" is an excellent book for newer real estate investors!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.