Which renovation project should I do first?

8 Replies

I have a property that needs a total demo and renovation. It has not been lived in for about twenty years.

It needs a new roof, I don't know the extent of electrical, I don't know the extent of plumbing, and personally, framing/walls is at the bottom of this list in my opinion.

Yes, I am going to walk the property with a contractor to get their advice and bids. My plan is not to sell it.

Which project should I do first with my money?

Originally posted by @Juan David Maldonado :

I have a property that needs a total demo and renovation. It has not been lived in for about twenty years.

It needs a new roof, I don't know the extent of electrical, I don't know the extent of plumbing, and personally, framing/walls is at the bottom of this list in my opinion.

Yes, I am going to walk the property with a contractor to get their advice and bids. My plan is not to sell it.

Roof #1

a leak can cause mold and worse 

@Brian Garrett Thank you! @Michael Plante Yes, I was also thinking is a top priority! After the roof is done. What do you recommend after that?

just going by what I have learned 

Your situation most likely is different 

Stop any mold of you have any    Mold doesn’t like dry, bright conditions with air flow 

I put out 2 US flags.  With solar night time lights  A posted sign.  A signs which states there are electronic surveillance.   A fake camera on each corner of the house 

My places don’t have electric or I would use real security cameras 

it seems sometimes people will have the money for demo and a little fixing up and then run out of money or time and the project sits for months or years 

I would try to save as much as possible and not demo unless completely necessary 

@Juan David Maldonado

You need to learn about construction...  It sounds like you are basically going to have to gut the place back to the studs.  I agree you need to fix the roof, but figure out whatever else you might want to do with the place, especially plumbing and hvac.  You may want to or need to add/remove penetrations through the roof, for example.  You'd want that rough'ed in before redoing the roof...

Good luck.

Since you are not planning to sell it, if you are going to live in it, that's one thing but if you are turning it into a rental I'd advise you run your numbers to see if after everything is said and done that it will actually cash flow.