Do I continue with this deal...

Do I continue with this deal...

Member since 2021 · 29 posts · 34 votes

Hi all - first time investor here (well, almost). My offer was accepted for a SFR in Houston (zip code 77007, near Houston Heights). I wanted to share the details with my fellow BP investors and get your opinion on whether I should move forward with the deal or not. This will been my first property purchased. I currently live in CA and this will be out of state investment property. So here are the details...


Details: 3 bedroom, 3 bath SFR listed at $365K - I got it for below asking at $355K. The seller's have also given me credit towards closing of about $5K. Property tax rate is about 2.29% (so I will be double wammied with state and property taxes).

Homeowners insurance is $183/month (includes also Flood Insurance)
Taxes $680/month 
HOA $75/month
Monthly rent ~$2600

I have run the #'s through BP "rental property calculator" and would be cash flowing $75/month (after expenses, vacancy, etc.). This is only a 1-2% CoC situation and obviously not ideal. But in this market, I'm having a hard time finding much that does cashflow.

I'm a young working professional who has been paying rent for years now and my purpose in buying this property is to build equity and get those tax breaks. But a cash flowing property is also a goal of mine. I know HTX has slow appreciation YoY so I am not counting on massive jumps like we're seeing on the West Coast. 

In addition, in this particular zip code, I'm seeing home drop in price which seems like a red flag....

Please let me know what you think of this particular situation, I appreciate all of the wealth of knowledge this community has to offer. (If I left any information out, please let me know!) 

1Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

Lee HamptonPro Member
Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 94 posts · 105 votes
5y

@Auryana Faramarzi  

Superb question! Concise, yet sufficiently detailed combined with thoughtful and accurate analysis (says a lot). Given your thoroughness, I believe you’ve answered your own question, but I’ll add some insight.

$75/unit/mos is an extremely low bar for a "cash flow" play. You have zero room for error. You are an HOA assessment, a minor repair, or a flood insurance increase (FEMA redraws flood map) away from being cash flow negative There are legitimate reasons for investing in a property with no cash flow, but none of those reasons apply here.

77007 is fine, however, IMHO, townhomes in the area are not wise appreciation plays. There is shift in preference to properties with a yard even if it is a small one, the shift is partially due to Covid. And when the market cycle turns, townhomes will get hit 1st and get hit the hardest. Real estate is forgiving over time, so I’m not suggesting that you would lose money, just that this deal does not align with a cash flow strategy. I hear someone saying “good cash flow deals are hard to find in this market”; Hard, yes! Impossible, no! I own double digit units in Houston, and while I still peruse Houston, I have turned my attention and am targeting two OOS markets that I believe have value and where I can meet my cash flow criteria. Finally, I'll leave you with this;

“The hardest test in life is having the patience to wait for the right moment”

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    5y

    Many thanks.  It means a lot coming from you.

  • Investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    Excellent decision to exit this deal.  You can do much better than this.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Auryana Faramarzi

    I would pass for sure. Even if rents went up $200 in 3 years, $275/month is still not enough.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    There are going to be pitfalls when buying your first property out of state.  I normally would recommend sticking to your home state - because appreciation is above average.  At this point, the state's properties prices compared to income are staggering.  And indeed people are leaving California.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Auryana Faramarzi

    This is me not knowing anything about the local market. But I would never buy something with a rent to price ratio like your deal in my local market. I would think that if you are comfortable going out of state then you can find something better.

  • Member since 2020 · 983 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I would stay away from the property for several reasons. Your cashflow is most-likely going to be negative after you get hit with both property management fees that are additional to that are additional to the standard percent of rental income and you will get hit with many more additional costs because you are not hands-on e.g. management companies don't have the ability to inspect your property the same number of times as you for damages caused by tenants like when one of my out-of-state rental properties was being used for a huge dog kennel inside the home.

    When owning long-distance properties you often get hit with huge bills that can be avoided when you are  hands-on. You can't expect that property management companies will spend the same amount of time as you when it comes to finding the best and most-honest contractors. I live in Los Angeles and own properties in Boise idaho. At 8 pm the weather is 15 degrees and my property management company calls to tell that my tenant's furnace is broke, the water pipes will freeze inside the house and I will have to put my tenant into a hotel for a few days. The property management company tells me that the furnace fire-box is cracked and I need a new furnace for $6500. That is strange because the furnace is maybe only 8 years old and modern furnaces have heat exchangers and not a fire-box. I am a heating contractor. So, I tell the property management company I am leaving Los Angeles and will be in Idaho in about 13 hours to repair the furnace, or install a new one. About 15 minutes later, I receive a telephone call telling me the furnace is repaired and the cost was only something like $350.

    I am not saying that management companies are bad. My point is that when you are not near the property you have to rely on other people, hope and pray that they are honest and efficient. If we lived in an ideal world everyone would be billionaires, but we don't and the expectation is that people do and will make mistakes and you will pay the price.

    Don't be anxious to invest money burning a hole in your pocket. Since you feel the need to ask your questions, you are not ready to invest in real estate. Never rely on advice from others including myself. I've been wrong many times and some deals I told people to stay away from turned out much better than I expected. But...when I am not absolutely 100% positive about a deal I am not going to cross my fingers, pray and hope the deal pans out because the chances are it will not pan out and if it does then we are investing based on hope and not good business practices.

    Hold onto your money until a deal comes that is so sweet you can't let pass, but don't listen to advice from even your own broker when it comes to what is good to invest in because nobody on either side of the deal represents you and as far as brokers are concerned they only show you what is on the market and tell you every property is good for you as long as you are willing to purchase them.

    The profit from real estate investing is earned the day you close the property. Example. My business model is to earn 50% to 100% profit (ROI) on my investment capital every year. That means, if I invest $50,000 for a house today, then by the end of the first or second year my property has to be worth $25,000 to $50,000 more than what I paid to give me a 50% to 100% annual return on my money.

    I always achieve my goal of earning 50% to 100% on my money the day the property closes escrow and this is because I look at thousand of properties until I find a property that is discounted and worth more than the price I pay, or I purchase properties where a little rehabbing and rent increase will get my my 50% to 100% return on my money.

    If you don't have a business model and plan to earn 50% to 100% on your money then you never will. Just remember that you will never make a profit by buying them, collecting rents and having tenants pay down the mortgage. The rent collected and maintenance costs will not keep up with inflation. The money in real estate is earned when you buy the right property, when you earn immediate returns on the money you invested and when the properties appreciate in value. 

    As stated in about 20 previous posts. I live in Los Angeles and just sold about 24 to 28 homes in Las Vegas. Can't remember how many because some belonged to my children. I do all my work myself with my employees. My cost, not including the cost for my labor, to clean every home cost not one penny less than $6,000. The average cost was about $8,000 and one home in Boise Idaho cost me $18,000 to clean and the work took my employee and myself 3 trips from Los Angeles to Idaho and a total of 11 days from 5 am to as late as midnight. 

    I was shocked when I went to Idaho and found that house painters want $5500 to $6500 just to paint the inside of a 3-bedroom home. The house in Idaho belonged to my son. So, since I am a licensed contractor I made a very legitimate bill for the work I did to his house and the bill was for $32,000. 

    Just imagine you get a call from your property manager in Texas and you are informed that your house is thrashed. We are very sorry and we did a lot of shopping for the best prices. Can you deposit $15,000 into our account today so we can get the work started because we already have another tenant ready to move in to get your house thrashed, again. I made several million dollars in profit with my Las Vegas homes because I purchased them for 30 cents on the dollar between 2008 and 2010, but with the high costs for everything today I would not invest in single family homes and subject myself to paying $6,000 to $12,000 to clean up the damage that tenants cause even within their first year.

    There are two popular sayings that make a lot of good business sense, but it is very strange that few people know the meaning of these sayings and those who do don't practice this good advice.

    "The rich get richer"

    "It takes money to make money"

    You need to practice these two sayings in the order they are written.

    "The rich get richer" This means, when a great deal comes along people without money can't get into those deals, but people who are rich get richer because that have the cash when the really hot deals fall in their laps. So, we people who don't have a lot of cash need to learn to stay away from so-so deals with the poor potential for large profits.

    "It takes money to make money" This saying is similar to "The rich get richer", but it is critical to know that when the really hot deal falls in your lap you need the money to make more money. You need to understand that if you blow your cash on a so-so deal in Texas and cross your fingers then you won't have the money to make more money when a really profitable deal comes.

    Homes often look like good deals in other states because the prices are cheap, but the rents are also much less in other states and the costs for materials and labor throughout the United States is very close to the same. The cost to install carpeting, plumbing, roofs and painting is very close in most states. The problem with low-priced homes with low rents is in California I just paid $1300 to install carpets for an apartment unit that brings in $2200 per month and I still have $900 left in my pocket from the rent. In Columbus Ohio, I have apartments near Columbus State University that sell for $60k per unit and I rent the units for a maximum of $800 per month. So those carpets cost me $1300 and it takes more than 1-1/2 months of rent to pay for the carpets. When I need to do a major cleaning for an apartment in California the total cost is 1-1/2 to 2 months of rent. A major cleaning for an apartment in Columbus costs me 4 to 5 months of rental income.

    Don't listen to me. I've been wrong many times. It is your money. You have to be 100% positive and you need to be able to made decisions without relying on advice from any person including brokers, attorneys, financial advisor, friend, BP members, etc. NOBODY!

  • Realtor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    Simply put, no I personally wouldn't. Once you feel the effects of owning some houses for a couple of years you realize cash flow is primarily just the safety net for when something breaks. $900 over 12 months with what appears to be small equity and small appreciation is a no go for me. You can find better deals out there for your cash and yield a much higher return.

  • Don SpaffordPro Member
    Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 629 votes
    5y

    @Auryana Faramarzi Is this the only market you've been looking into? There are many great cash flowing and appreciating markets that will provide better returns. And as mentioned by others in this thread, property management does matter. Unfortunately most property management companies are not good. As for properties, I personally prefer multi-family over single-family. It reduces your risk for non-payment and vacancy and generally provides better cash flow.

    If you can't find a great property of your own, there is always the option to invest in syndication deals as well which usually offer great returns and be completely passive. I am currently working on one now in Eastern Idaho for a new development project that will be offering excellent returns with a 2 year timeframe. Happy to discuss that deal or how syndications work if interested.

  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 691 votes
    5y

    I like @Thomas Brett Gilbert's advice. It seems like forming a legal entity and renting it out is a good option for you. Cash flow is king! 

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Luciano A.:

    @Auryana Faramarzi

    I see you decided not to go with the deal which is a good move but something to also consider when and if you buy in Houston. If you are paying a higher price than what the current property is appraised for on tax records then be prepared to have that adjusted the following year. They will move it at or close to your purchase price thus making your property taxes higher. Make sure to take that under consideration when you are looking. Heights is a good place but in my opinion, it's best to find areas that are coming up versus established. 

    Best of luck 

    Great response. I will focus on Gentrifying zipcodes. 

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Auryana Faramarzi In my personal opinion and based on your cash-flow goal, I won't buy this deal except you can negotiate down the price and get a higher rent or rent by the room (more income).

    Goodluck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.