How to take my real estate learning to the next level

18 Replies

Hi everyone, 

It's truly amazing to be in a community that is so brilliant and helpful. I have just joined BiggerPockets today and i could really use your help. i have read multiple books about property investing but i wish to take my education further, is there any free online courses available so i can take my learning to the next level.

If you haven't already done this I would suggest starting to analyze deals like you are thinking about buying them. That is something I did that really helped my confidence when looking at properties. Even if it's not a deal you would actually think about buying it helps to go through the motions. Along the same lines, going to properties and walking through them to gain experience.

Depends what kind of strategy you're looking to implement, are you looking for flips, brrrr, long term rentals etc. Check out the calculators that are on this website, they'll give you an idea of what pieces of information are important!

Have you listened to the podcast. There is over 500 episodes covering everything from "Soup to nuts". I have also read a lot of books, but the podcast interviews real people....Doing real-estate. and there are so many different examples of how people navigate this crazy awesome niche of investing. I personally started from the beginning and am 150 episodes in, plus current on the new ones. Every episode has a plethora of information, most of which you wont read in books, and many of the books you will read are mentioned on the podcast. Not only that, but sometimes they even have the authors themselves on to talk and that's pretty cool. Its very inspirational to hear about regular people, and their story of starting out like us, just like this, and making big moves in the industry. If you have not looked it up, you need to check it out. 

on top of that I'm sure there is investors in your area.. Find someone that is doing what you want to do and reach out to them. build relationships. That's what I am currently doing now, and it only makes sense to not try and re-invent the wheel. Learn from others who are already successful in what you plan on doing.. Then make a plan. 

Look at properties in your area and run them through the analysis calculators on this site. Those things are phenomenal. There is so many ways to learn, but eventually, you got to just get your feet wet. mine are going to be soaked in the near future. So good luck to ya and I hope to see ya at the top...when we get there!!! 

Originally posted by @Devante Cameron :

Hi everyone, 

It's truly amazing to be in a community that is so brilliant and helpful. I have just joined BiggerPockets today and i could really use your help. i have read multiple books about property investing but i wish to take my education further, is there any free online courses available so i can take my learning to the next level.

I agree with Sam in that you should start analyzing deals regularly. Also if you haven't already get your first deal done, if you can't do that right now then find someone who is doing deals and ask to learn from them. 

Originally posted by @Blake Dennis :

Have you listened to the podcast. There is over 500 episodes covering everything from "Soup to nuts". I have also read a lot of books, but the podcast interviews real people....Doing real-estate. and there are so many different examples of how people navigate this crazy awesome niche of investing. I personally started from the beginning and am 150 episodes in, plus current on the new ones. Every episode has a plethora of information, most of which you wont read in books, and many of the books you will read are mentioned on the podcast. Not only that, but sometimes they even have the authors themselves on to talk and that's pretty cool. Its very inspirational to hear about regular people, and their story of starting out like us, just like this, and making big moves in the industry. If you have not looked it up, you need to check it out. 

on top of that I'm sure there is investors in your area.. Find someone that is doing what you want to do and reach out to them. build relationships. That's what I am currently doing now, and it only makes sense to not try and re-invent the wheel. Learn from others who are already successful in what you plan on doing.. Then make a plan. 

Look at properties in your area and run them through the analysis calculators on this site. Those things are phenomenal. There is so many ways to learn, but eventually, you got to just get your feet wet. mine are going to be soaked in the near future. So good luck to ya and I hope to see ya at the top...when we get there!!! 

After listening to 150 episodes have you personally done any deals because of them? Also does it seem like a lot of the people are directly or indirectly pitching something or soliciting money for their next project on the podcast?

I would say the best education you could get would be through Youtube. There is so much content from industry experts. Best of all, it is completely free. A great place to start would be the BiggerPockets Youtube channel. It has quality content.

I have not done any deals yet, and I am ok with that. I have been home 3 months and am looking currently to make something happen. However, this isn't about me. I was just saying that the podcast has quality content. I have read plenty of books on real estate, finance etc.. The podcast is just a great source of info and a convenient way to learn. There is advertising on the podcast by the shows sponsors, however, people don't come on there pitching sales. I don't feel like anyone's trying to sell anything. maybe bigger pockets books. I know what you mean though. Its a bit off putting when you are trying to learn or listen to something and its a one sales pitch after another. The podcast isn't like that. I really like it and recommend it. its inspiring . that's all. 

Originally posted by @Blake Dennis :

Thank you so much Blake. I will begin listening to the podcasts regularly 

Good luck to you as well and you will without a doubt be at the top. Have a great day!

Originally posted by @Daniel Sanchez :

I would say the best education you could get would be through Youtube. There is so much content from industry experts. Best of all, it is completely free. A great place to start would be the BiggerPockets Youtube channel. It has quality content.

Thanks Daniel i will be sure to start watching the videos by BiggerPockets. I really appreciate your help!

Originally posted by @Jason Mileshko :
Originally posted by @Devante Cameron:

Hi everyone, 

I agree with Sam in that you should start analyzing deals regularly. Also if you haven't already get your first deal done, if you can't do that right now then find someone who is doing deals and ask to learn from them. 

Thank you Jason for your advice! What information would you suggest i know about regarding the area i'd wish to invest in  

@Devante Cameron narrow down the types of RE investor you want to be. (Flipper, buy and hold, commercial, residential, developer, etc) Find people who are the best in that type of investing and work with them on a few deals. It’s great to read and analyze but you have to jump in at some point. For example if you want to swim you can read analyze and watch others but the real education is when you are in the water.

@Devante Cameron where are you based?

The best way to learn is doing a deal.

If you want I could jump on a quick call with you and guide you on how to do your first deal even if you don't have money. Not selling anything. Just paying forward what someone did for me.

Shoot me a direct message if you want to.

Eric

Originally posted by @Devante Cameron :
Originally posted by @Jason Mileshko:
Originally posted by @Devante Cameron:

Hi everyone, 

Thank you Jason for your advice! What information would you suggest i know about regarding the area i'd wish to invest in  

This should be a good start: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...