How close do you get to your tenants?

How close do you get to your tenants?

Member since 2021 路 119 posts 路 45 votes

Hi folks, I've seen some posts that talk about business cards being made up once you acquire a property, to hand to your tenants. Some landlords prefer to engage more with their tenants, some even on a first name basis. Others prefer more distance and will not disclose their true identity to their tenants. If they go in person to the property, they'll say they're the property manager. I know we live in a very litigious society, so what are your thoughts on how close you get to your tenants? With a PM of course.

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor 路 RVA 路 Member since 2016 路 5k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
4y

Me, not at all. I prefer to be very removed. I'm in this business to own property, not to manage it :)

Our office managers, however - very much encouraged. I've found that when our office managers have at least some relationship with the tenants, things go much more smoothly.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 RVA 路 Member since 2016 路 5k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    4y

    Me, not at all. I prefer to be very removed. I'm in this business to own property, not to manage it :)

    Our office managers, however - very much encouraged. I've found that when our office managers have at least some relationship with the tenants, things go much more smoothly.

  • Deland, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    4y

    I thought I had a fairly distant relationship 

     Then 2 weeks ago I receive a text from a tenant I had to evict a year ago for nonpayment 

    They right out ask for my home address.  ?!?!

    Turns out they were sending me an invitation to their wedding. 馃榾

    Maybe I just try to play the grouchy tough landlord lol

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant 路 Madison, NJ 路 Member since 2016 路 6k+ posts 路 7k+ votes
    4y

    6 feet. :)

    Anyone who thinks the tenants won't find out they are the owner, unless they own a lot of buildings in multi-person owned business or LLCs, is kidding themselves. You have to have a good enough relationship with them so they let you know when there is water or fire, but distance enough that they don't ask you how to change a lightbulb.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Palo Alto, CA 路 Member since 2021 路 27 posts 路 22 votes
    4y

    @Rodney Lorenzo

    If you have a PM, then I would stay far away. Hopefully they don鈥檛 have your phone number. That鈥檚 what you鈥檙e hiring the PM for!

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker 路 Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 5k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    4y

    Hi @Rodney Lorenzo,  I would recommend not to be friends or close to your tenants but I am not against it as well. What you can do is to maintain a professional relationship and act like a friend once-in-a-while, since property is your business.

  • Property Manager 路 Raleigh, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 728 posts 路 596 votes
    4y

    @Rodney Lorenzo

    I am friendly with them, no different than I would be with other people. I chat if they like to talk, but others want to be left alone. Ultimately, it is a business and gwtting to close could lead to uncomfortable situations.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Erie, PA 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    4y

    I'm friendly with my tenants but I keep it professional. I keep a positive attitude around them, will chat about repairs or work I'm doing on the property and keep conversation general; I don't pry into their personal lives or try to be their pal. 

    My tenants would likely refer to me as a nice guy who is boring but has pride in each property I own and cares about providing a quiet, safe place for them to live, which is ideally how I want to be perceived by them. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.