Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Agent
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sam Bob
Votes |
Becoming a real estate agent at 18

Sam Bob
Posted Nov 23 2022, 11:00

Hi everyone at BP! I’m 16 almost 17 right now and am planning on getting my real estate license before I graduate high school. For background I’ve been interested in the finance space since I was 14. Since I can’t really invest on my own as of right now, I’ve just been saving money (about 5 grand from a summer job). I’m planning on working again this summer to save even more while still having fun and being a kid haha. Any thoughts on how to get into the space (internships, classes, recommendations, etc.) would be greatly appreaciated, thanks! I’m looking forward to becoming an actual investor :) ,

Sam

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Nov 23 2022, 11:36

Good for you.

Wish I had been that smart when I was 18.....

Couple of different routes I think you can take...depending on your interest.....one is work the next 3-4-5 summers for different trades.  Work one summer/holidays/weekends for electrician, then a plumber, then HVAC, then maybe framer.  Learn Spanish along the way if you can.   You will then either be able to do a lot of work yourself as the years go on, or be a better customer, and a more knowledgeable sales person.   You'll probably always have work no matter the economy...and you might even make more money than you could other places if you have some nice skills there....or actually work enough to get a journeyman license or master license.

Second route if you're more office guy is start doing the assistance work for a real estate team....you can probably run circles around all of us doing software and internet stuff.   You could even start your own business doing this.  Could you make 100 youtube videos for an agent for $1000?  Create their youtube channel, shoot the videos, edit them and post them in a month.  Lots of agents might pay you to do that.  You could probably make $10,000 in a summer doing that with some hustle.   Create another 100 TikToks and Reels videos for them for another $1000.   You could do this weekends and evenings while you are in school too.

You could set up someone's marketing system...clean their database, call all their customers for them, get all the updates like IG, FB, email, addresses etc, then put them on marketing campaigns, respond to inquiries etc.  

If you are a glutton for punishment....then go work for an investor doing inside sales.....calling for dollars....negotiate with them for a piece of the action...1% of a deal for buy and hold investor or whatever % makes sense to you...so you build some income or capital.

If you like commercial....go in as a research assistant...either building databases or creating presentations for them.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Eichler
  • Realtor
  • Pocono Pines, PA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Pocono Pines, PA
Replied Nov 23 2022, 11:52

Totally do it! I got my license at 19 and I love it, Ive been in the space for about 2 years now. I started off unlicensed just helping out an STR property management company at 18, just learning the tricks of the trade. I now own an investment property myself and help others too. Becoming licensed was the best decision I have ever made!

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Nov 23 2022, 13:38

Start calling real estate brokers to see if you can get a job at their front desk answering phones and go from there.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Tulloch
Pro Member
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 23 2022, 14:33

Sam - I would suggest going to real estate meet-ups in your area and potentially seeking out a mentor. Having someone to bounce ideas off and ask questions to will be extremely beneficial. Your head is definitely in the right place. Good luck on your journey!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Sheeks
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Nov 23 2022, 19:19

Hey @Sam Bob

Bigger Pockets has a book that is PERFECT for you! It's called First to a Million. It answers all your questions, including the ones you don't even know you have yet. :-) www.biggerpockets.com/teen

I wrote the book just for young people like you - young motivated hustlers who want passive income and early financial independence! Check it out.

Also, reach out to me if you want some individual advice. I'm a high school business teacher in Colorado, so talking to teens about this stuff is what I do all day, every day. Always happy to help out!

Best,

Dan

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 23 2022, 21:56

Get out in the field and learn on your own. Knock on doors and learn the art of selling, no need to get caught up in the technical side of real estate. 

User Stats

Votes
Erick De casas
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Ramon, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Ramon, CA
Replied Nov 24 2022, 14:29

Do it! It'll open so many doors for you.