Votes |
Sale of home - owners deceased

Tim Sharkey
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Jan 3 2023, 11:09

Need advice from a transaction pro:

Here’s the scenario:

I sign a listing contract with a surviving owner in a two owner (non-married) life partner domestic arrangement. One owner has deceaased.  

I find a buyer and represent that buyer in a dual agency situation (allowed in PA) and house goes under contract. Earnest money in escrow.

Now the Surviving owner dies during the transaction.

What’s do I do next? Do i need listing contracts with both estates or only the owner who lived longer?

Now what do I do? Does my buyer still have a deal. 

User Stats

Votes
Karl McGarvey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jan 3 2023, 11:26

That property now goes to the heirs of the living relatives, and probably through the probate process. I anticipate your contract is probably now voided.

User Stats

Votes
Ash Hegde#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT MI PA)
Votes |
Ash Hegde#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT MI PA)
Replied Jan 3 2023, 11:33

This may vary by state. I believe here in Florida the contract actually remains valid and the estate representative handles the closing (albeit with possible delays depending on probate). 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tom Carroll
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Avon, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Avon, CT
Replied Jan 3 2023, 11:35

I'm not sure if PA is an escrow sate or an attorney state but you should contact a real estate attorney. It will depend on the terms of your listing agreement that was signed and what the verbiage is. 

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied Jan 3 2023, 15:30

Whether your listing agreement is valid depends upon how the property is titled. Pull the current deed. If the two owners held title as (i) tenants by the entirety or (ii) joint tenants with the right of survivorship, you have 100% of the property accounted for. If not, you have a problem as your listing agreement would only be for 50% of the land (or some other percentage if stated in the deed).

If you can get past that hurdle, whether your contract is enforceable at this juncture would depend upon whether it is binding on seller's heirs, personal representatives, successors, etc. The answer to that may be "yes" even if the agreement doesn't contain that specific language, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. As a realtor I assume you're using a standard form and this will be easy to determine. 

Get your broker involved.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Jan 3 2023, 19:31

Check with your title company on who has to sign.  My guess is there is now no contract.  Dead people can't sign transfer/deed/HUD1/etc.

May have to go thru escrow.  Maybe affidavits of heirship will work.  I think there are no easy answers without way more info.....did they have wills, did they have kids, did they buy the house together, who's names are on the deed, is the life partner arrangement documented--some kind of signed agreement?  Is that agreement legal in PA?