18, Looking for a Broker

9 Replies

I recently passed the State and school exams. However I'm having trouble finding a brokerage, I'm open to any suggestions because I'd like to get started as soon as possible.

congrats, what an accomplishment, you should be very proud of passing the exams at 18, It shows a lot about your character, and in my opinion every broker should be fighting over your services. keep up the good work.

@Shawn Drne I'm sure it's very competitive where you are. Maybe one of the larger brokerages have some type of training programs, call and ask to speak to the manager of the sales agents, explain your situation, and see what they say. Better yet, go in person. You might want to try to find a position as an assistant to one of the more experienced top producers, and learn the ropes like that.

I'd also like to suggest that both you and @Mike Gallagher upload a picture of yourselves, or something to your profiles. The stock icon doesn't show any character. Even if it's a picture of a local landmark, something personal helps.

Good luck.

@Mike Gallagher Thanks sir.

@Karen Margrave Thank you also for the advice. I e-mailed some brokerages a while ago, 3 of the bigger names that have notable training and never got a response. Do you think I should try again through the phone or leave them alone? I definitely plan on studying if not shadowing top producers and I'll also get on the picture soon.

@Shawn Drne Be aggressive, that's what the brokers want to see. GO in and talk to them in person. For all you know, your email ended up in their spam folder! Call some of the top producers. Look at the classifieds for positions, etc. As for the pic, just pull one from google images, of your local area, the statue of Liberty? Just gives you some personality.

@Shawn Drne

Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having 60 past ones to catch up on.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need. Check everyone here who has a lic. see who they have it placed with and why.

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

Brandon put together a great read. The Real Estate Agent's Ultimate Guide to Working with Investors

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/08/24/real-estate-agents-working-with-investors/

Good luck

Paul

Shawn look up the top brokers/agents around and have a quick one page professional bio on who you are and your goals.

Catch these brokers/agents leaving their real estate buildings walking to an appointment etc. Get in front of their faces showing them you have the fire and the hustle to succeed. It's a rare breed for a new agent to have the same passion that these successful broker/agents had when they started out. Most want something but will not work for it. Be clear in your intentions that you DO NOT want to be a secretary but want to learn the business from them and transact with commission. You will not make much at first because you will be learning and training a bunch. First decide what type of real estate you want to sell residential, commercial, etc. and target those brokers/agents.

Some others said it... start calling top producing agents and see if you can work for them so you can learn the business! That's the best way to get started.

Thanks everyone.

Account Closed I'll definitely look into those books.

All offices will be interested in telling you what they offer their Agents. YOU interview THEM, not the other way around. You are an independent contractor looking for an Agency to represent. Find a managing broker that you are comfortable with, and compare the commission schedule and benefits they offer. Then, decide what environment you will be most successful in. The franchises have classes, but so does the local association, and the escrow offices. You can find education everywhere you look as a licensee. You want to find a brokerage that supports your unique set of skills and your aspirations. It is MOST important that Broker you will be reporting to is someone you are comfortable with because Real Estate can be a beast in the beginning if you do not have the support of your Broker. Good luck, the world is your oyster!!

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.