Real Estate Agent and Loan Officer at the same time? California

Real Estate Agent and Loan Officer at the same time? California

Investor · Parlier, CA · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 2 votes

Hello,

I have a real estate license which I currently use for personal use. I had no interest in devoting time to make it a part-time job. However, lately, I been thinking about making a few business cards and passing them out to friends and relatives with the hope of making a few bucks to use a down payment for investment properties.

Lately, I been thinking about getting the loan origination license. I think it would be better if I could assist the client throughout the transaction and use both commissions investment purposes. However, I am not sure whether state law allows me to wear both "hats" at the same time.

I have read online it is possible, but I wouldn't be able to do FHA loans. However, according to the student assistant at the online school, I wouldn't be able to do both things at the same time with the same client.

Which one is it? It is hard to find a mortgage broker to take part-time officers?

Thank you in advance.

0Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

@Raul Ruvalcaba Welcome to BP! You've come to the right place to talk all things real estate. Actually I think it is possible to do both things at the same time, with the same clients, but double check with the DRE. California DRE.

However; just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. There could be a perceived conflict of interest.

Please consider uploading a photo of yourself to your profile. It gives the site a more professional appearance. If for some reason you don't want your pic online, use another pic of a local landmark, landscape, hobby or ? Thanks!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Involved In Real Estate · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2013 · 246 posts · 75 votes
    12y

    Call the state licensing board and ask them. That's your best bet.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Raul Ruvalcaba Welcome to BP! You've come to the right place to talk all things real estate. Actually I think it is possible to do both things at the same time, with the same clients, but double check with the DRE. California DRE.

    However; just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. There could be a perceived conflict of interest.

    Please consider uploading a photo of yourself to your profile. It gives the site a more professional appearance. If for some reason you don't want your pic online, use another pic of a local landmark, landscape, hobby or ? Thanks!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Besides the ethical issues, legal limitations on loan origination compensation in related transactions, you'd have liability issues presented for your RE broker and your sponsoring lender. You can do RE and loans, but not both in the same deal.

    Another issue, being an active Realtor as a loan officer means other Realtors will be very shy about you doing their deals, you'd know more about their client than they would usually and you'd be in a great position to steal their clients for another deal.

    Pick one side of the fence or the other, then do your best to do one thing well. You'd have a heck of a time staying current in both areas. :)

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley is right again!

  • Investor · Parlier, CA · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Karen Margrave

    Thanks for the help. I'll look into it. One more question, what should I do then, to limit what I am being charge for the loan origination cost for myself?

    Thanks to all for the help.

    Thank you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.