Ryan Ruiz
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
Unethical real estate agent may be taking advantage of seller

Ryan Ruiz
  • New Orleans, LA
Posted May 21 2014, 08:50

I have a quandry.

I am looking to buy a property and the seller is an older gentlemen who is sick, possibly very sick. I contacted his agent and it is actually two women, mother and daughter, that represent him. They have been extrememly pushy and trying to get me to the table. Very high strung type personalities. So far they have made these blunders:

1. I sent a list of questions via agents that I needed answered before I even looked at the property. They responded several times saying they had talked to him and everything was good and we should meet. They set up a meeting with an attorney this thursday, BFD deal, and we have half an hour slotted to ask/answer questions. The attorney is doing it for free, but I explained to them I don't need an attorney yet, I just need exact answers to the questions so I can decide if I need to move forward. Seeing that I didn't get that I asked them if they had even asked their client the questions. instead of answering me directly she steered toward the meeting on Thursday and said that's the time they expect me to ask questions and get answers on the items I needed. I stoped her, and asked again, did you ask your client the questions? She again tried to steer away. I cut her off and asked her again. She finally admited no, she had not. I explained that I needed those quesitons answered because if her client was not willing to at least entertain my terms then it would be unecessary to go further. She got upset with me and said that if I had a certain dollar limit then I should just let my agent know and she would tell her and they would ask the client if it was enough. She was rude and unprofessional and basically told me she didn't ahve time to ask her client the questions.

My agent is also having a hard time with them. She contacted them to say I was interested in the property and would like to get some questions answered and schedule a showing. They said sure, but then called her twice that day to ask if they were going to get a contract signed by COB that day. She explaine to them I have my due diligance to do and needed to ensure it was a buy I wanted. They seemed miffed that it would even take that long.

She also noticed on the MLS that they had marked the comission as 30% not 3% and when she called their office to let them know, they seemed indifferent to it. It got changed later, but she explained to them it was a serious violation of realtor practice and could have put their client on the hook for a huge comission.

So here is my questtion/concern. I believe these realtors are fully taking advantage of this old man, and I don't know if I should call him and let him know what's going on. I know I may lose the deal, but I have signed nothing and don't know if I will get in trouble for letting him know.

Any thoughts?

Loading replies...