MLSs allowing listings where seller doesn't own the property

MLSs allowing listings where seller doesn't own the property

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes

If it isn't clear, I am unlicensed. By design, by the way. In this recent topic (http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/133866-charlotte-nc-wholesaling-101-and-basic-rehabbing), I came to the realization that there is at least one North Carolina MLS that allows a realtor to list property by someone other than the legal owner of the property, e.g. a person with a contract. In this case, it was from a wholesaler in Charlotte. The obvious question is 'How many other MLSs allow listing property by someone with just a contract and not ownership?'

For those not in NC, the newest(?) 'standard' contract (Revised 7/2013) has a checkbox on page 6 (of 11) under SELLER REPRESENTATIONS that allows for Ownership declaration via a checkbox: "Seller represents that Seller:... does not yet own the Property." That makes life a lot easier for wholesalers.

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2012 · 44 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    Hi Chris--

    I am a licensed real estate agent in North Carolina, working in the Charlotte market. As you know, the Charlotte-area MLS DOES allow for Realtors to input a listing that is "not yet owned by the seller." I agree that this clause in the MLS and related contract documents (listing agreement, Offer to Purchase and Contract) does make things much easier for wholesalers.

  • Real Estate Broker · Triangle Area, NC · Member since 2012 · 587 posts · 214 votes
    12y

    Hey Chris I'm pretty sure that over here in the Triangle area a property can be put on the MLS by wholesalers. I was looking at a wholesale property a couple months ago that was listed by a Realtor.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.