I am a new WA state broker...can I list my properties on MLS now?

5 Replies

Dear fellow Investors and Realtors,

I am a new agent on the block! I just passed the WA state real estate broker exam yesterday. I am also a long time real estate investor!

Now, my question to this group is- What are my options to list my 2 ready for sale properties? Should I list them as "For Sale by owner" now on the MLS and later change it to my name as listing agent when I finalize what brokerage firm I would like to work with?

Also, I am looking for brokerage firms here in the Seattle area that charge min office fee. I am looking at listing my own fixed properties for now.

Thanks in advance!

Jo

Congrats on passing the exam and on having a couple of properties ready to go!

I'm not familiar with Washington, but I assume it's similar to VA in many ways so I believe the below will hold true.

First up, you won't actually be licensed until you "hang" your license with a broker, apply for the license, and wait for the state to issue it to your brokerage, so I would contact a couple of brokers and interview them to make sure you find a good fit.

Secondly, you need to be a member of the local (and national and state) associations of Realtors to gain access to the MLS. The MLS is managed and maintained by your local Realtors association.

Typically your brokerage will inform you how to apply and join the associations so that's your first step is go find the right brokerage for you.

Congrats again and good luck with your new adventure!

Jon Deavers, Real Estate Agent in VA (#0225213131)

Thank you Jon Deavers, this is very helpful:)

No harm in going FSBO for now while you complete you licensing and MLS access. You need to hang your license to activate it. MLS access comes with your brokerage. Some may require you to join NAR but that has nothing to do with NWMLS. Once you sign up with NWMLS you will need to take their matrix and listing classes for them to enable your account. One of your criteria in choosing a firm should be their rules on listing your own properties. Some do not allow you to do that.

Secondly, you need to be a member of the local (and national and state) associations of Realtors to gain access to the MLS. The MLS is managed and maintained by your local Realtors association.

@Jon Deavers  

True in many areas, but not here. NWMLS is independent.