• Real Estate Investor
  • Sandy, OR
Votes |
ProSchools - Ye or ne...?

Matt Good
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sandy, OR
Posted Nov 29 2014, 12:27

We live in Oregon. My girlfriend is interested in becoming a Real Estate Agent and has heard good things about ProSchools. Supposedly, they're "the best" for online in Oregon. Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Randy Johnston
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Beaverton, OR
Votes |
  • Beaverton, OR
Replied Nov 29 2014, 12:38

I used ProSchools and got my license without a hitch. They do a class once a week and the rest of the time it's online self-study. I felt very prepared when I took the state and federal exams.

One thing your girlfriend should do is look around for a brokerage firm where she may want to "hang her shingle," most of them offer a discount to ProSchools.

Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Vonetta Booker
  • Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Stamford, CT
Replied Nov 29 2014, 13:17

Wow...wish we had ProSchools when I was getting my license.  But alas, CT doesn't have any online learning for RE.  Booo. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matt Good
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sandy, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sandy, OR
Replied Nov 29 2014, 13:21

Thank you Randy! Couple of questions... By class you mean in person in Portland? That and find a brokerage BEFORE paying for the schooling?

User Stats

Votes
Randy Johnston
  • Beaverton, OR
Votes |
  • Beaverton, OR
Replied Nov 30 2014, 12:28

Hi Matt,

By class, I do mean in person in Portland, though they may have another location out in your area, but I'm not positive.

Yes, find a brokerage before paying, they will offer a 20% discount, at least somewhere in that neighborhood. Doesn't mean you have to go with them afterward. Summa Realty doesn't have an office that far out, otherwise I would recommend them. Our closest office is at 2420 NE Sandy Ave. I really like working for them.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 30 2014, 14:11

pro schools is the way to go... their website works and then you can walk in and talk with someone live.. I have used them for broker  NMLS and all continuing ed for RE broker and NMLS

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 30 2014, 14:14

For starter agents Keller has a great training program  once you get trained then you can move to less expensive options.. but a good start is to get on a Keller team.

My wife and I are with Soldera and they are a great boutique firm with high dollar producers not really a starter office... Also Knipe has a nice lead gen program  starter agents do well there as well...

Summa as posted above has a ( at least when I met with the owners) a override type program. 

That's my feedback for what its worth...

User Stats

Votes
Matt Good
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sandy, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sandy, OR
Replied Nov 30 2014, 17:36

Thank you again Randy and thank you Jay!

Randy, I'll see how she feels about the commute to the 24th & NE Sandy location. How often is a Real Estate Agent actually at their desk/office?

Jay, we'll check out Keller Williams and Knipe for sure that sounds great! What do you mean by "override program?"

User Stats

Votes
Justin Green
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portland, OR
Replied Nov 30 2014, 19:42

Matt,

I also went the Pro Schools route. It was a great mix of online and in person education. That really helped with asking and expanding on certain subjects. I also travel for my 9-5 . I recall testing day chatting with a few other newbies and talking about where we all went to school. I went in feeling very confident and easily passed. I heard of some of the schools just sending you links to print off all the matter on that subject the school had. You get what you pay for. Yes Pro Schools is more than others. I still occasionally thumb through my textbooks or jump online to get a quick answer to some subject. I also work with Randy he is a great guy. I did not know of hooking up with a brokerage before paying full price for tuition. The real education actually starts when you start doing deals. I recommend taking a 100+ year old house for your first listing to get thrown right into the fire with lots of problems for extra experiences, JK you can ask Randy about some of my listings. School was much easier as goes real life.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Good
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sandy, OR
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Sandy, OR
Replied Nov 30 2014, 19:55

Haha terrific insight thank you Justin! ProSchools is sounding more and more like a good choice

User Stats

Votes
Mark Creason
  • Real Estate Lender and Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Lender and Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Dec 4 2014, 06:14

Matt,

I am currently licensed in 11 states.  I have taken courses at ProSchools and would give them a thumbs up.  I do use The CE Shop for CE courses since they will give me credit for multiple, similar courses for different states.

Mark

User Stats

Votes
Randy Johnston
  • Beaverton, OR
Votes |
  • Beaverton, OR
Replied Dec 8 2014, 14:31

Matt, we also have an office in Clackamas, which may be a better fit and it's a very nice office. You can spend as much time in the office as you want, it's a great environment for learning the ropes and Summa has some excellent training opportunities.

Check out the Summa website at http://www.summarealty.com/real-estate-agent-careers/.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Fox
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Vancouver, WA
Votes |
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Vancouver, WA
Replied Dec 10 2014, 22:43

I used ProSchools. Passed the test in Washington state the first time, but I supplemented with nightbeforetheexam.com. As a teacher, I do not like how they lay out the lessons. It seems to be designed for highly disciplined and motivated students. Take notes as you go. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Tom Jacobs
  • portland, or
Votes |
  • portland, or
Replied Aug 15 2015, 16:29

I am scared of the purchase I just made for this online school. Numerous grammatical errors, everything is written as it is a male real estate broker, No flash cards available as described before purchase. Beyond disappointed right now. how can you trust a school that can't spell correctly?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 24 2019, 07:16

Hello Matt, did your girlfriend end up going with ProSchools (Now OnCourse Learning)? If so how was her experience?