Marketing my property outside of a realtor

16 Replies

Is there any kind of marketing I can do independently of my real estate agent? If so what should I try? Can I try sending letters or postcards to other co-brokers advertising the property? And if so, would it help to offer some kind of bonus or gift to the co-broker? Are there any sites I can promote my property on outside of MLS? How about social networking or creating a website for the property and buying ads or Google keywords to promote the website? I'd appreciate any suggestions, I'm willing to spend money on it. Thanks!

Go to your REIA. Make a post on craigslist. I know a guy that offers a free flat screen tv to the buyers, (not sure how legal this is) just some thoughts.

Originally posted by @Jeremy Tillotson :

Go to your REIA. Make a post on craigslist. I know a guy that offers a free flat screen tv to the buyers, (not sure how legal this is) just some thoughts.

Thanks for the response. Not sure if a TV would help on a property at this price point. But do perks like that generally help, such as including car? What would I use the REIA for in promoting my property?

I have never done them, I had a wholesale that was a slam dunk one time, it was sold as is but I offered to gut and redo the bathroom, with a full price offer. I am not much into the general idea. I have though told me Realtor u can get an commission if sold in 45 days. I think he split the extra with the other agent to make it happen. 

The marketing would depend on the selling price of the house. I would leave the selling and marketing to the realtor. A good realtor will market the house and should do this for you. If you have free credits from your website hosting company to use for a google adwords campaign then just create a free page with wix.com and drive traffic to it.  Focus on making your property more marketable like any product. Take good pictures, do small appearance repairs, create curb side appeal, hand out flyers to neighbors. 

Let me know how it goes.

Alex Kennedy

@Ray S.  

I agree with Alex that a good agent will effectively market your property. If I am your listing agent, you don't need to worry about anything except replying to my correspondence and coming to the closing. But to answer the original question; try postlets.com for a sort of "one stop shop" to help market the property. 

Originally posted by @Michael Jobe :

@Ray Slater 

I agree with Alex that a good agent will effectively market your property. If I am your listing agent, you don't need to worry about anything except replying to my correspondence and coming to the closing. But to answer the original question; try postlets.com for a sort of "one stop shop" to help market the property. 

Ideally I agree with you 100%, but if there's anything I can do to try and give me an edge on getting this sold that my agent may not be doing I want to try it. Sometimes realtors aren't up to date on the latest technology, trends, ect. Can I post on postlets even if the property is already listed on MLS?

Offer a higher commission, to the Buyer's agent.  Human nature drives agents to one listing over another, for 1/2 to 1% extra.

Before I had a license I sold a rental with the lease and tenant on Zillow in less than a day. Good pictures, good pricing and answering the telephone is what sold it.

Has anyone experimented with Google Ad Words to promote the property's website? How about Facebook ads? Instagram? 

From a marketing perspective, people want information quickly and easily. Check out the real estate video below from Thurgood Productions (they do these worldwide, but are located in the USA). Your property can be viewed easily and professionally. This not only makes the property look good, but you as the seller look more valuable to future clients. http://youtu.be/QNjE2PqfRJM

Man, it just seems you are trying to re-create a system that already exists > the MLS. It's purpose is to expose your property to the largest possible universe of retail buyers so the one that wants YOUR HOUSE can be found. Creating a website and running Google or Facebook Ads makes no sense - you would be trying to find a needle in a haystack, and I can confidently predict you would waste every dollar you spend on that strategy - and lose a lot of TIME as well.

If you're trying to save money, find someone who will list on MLS for a flat fee, like $500. They just put it on there, no marketing... If you want to make sure the house gets sold as fast as possible for the best possible price, hire an experienced real estate agent and LET THEM DO THEIR THING.

I'm already listed on MLS. I'm just trying to do anything I can to maximize my chances of getting the right eyes on my property. There's a lot you can't include on MLS, such as videos, URLs, and specific info about finishes, appliances, ect. I made a website, and am just looking for any ways to attract buyers that my realtor may not have been able to reach.

@Ray S.  

Are you not getting showings?  Days on the market?

I ran into a similar situation when my house was listed for rent.  This is a slow time in the market.  The weather may be less of an issue in Florida, but I would think the holidays are still a factor.  If you continue to have a lack of interest, the first thing to look at is the price. 

@Ray S.  

Which one of this two houses will sell faster or gets more attention?

Listed for $175,000 offering 3% commission to selling office.

Listed for $180,000 offering 30% commission plus $5,000 bonus on an acceptable offer. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.