Brokers license for MD attorneys

10 Replies

I am an attorney in Maryland and I know that as an attorney I can take the test to become a licensed broker without having to fulfill any of the prerequisites (e.g. two years realtor experience). Are there any attorneys out there who have done this in Maryland? I just want to see if this proposition is actually true. Taking a quick test and being able to look at as many properties as I want whenever I want just sounds too good to be true!

Also if there are any MD brokers out there, can you point me in the right direction as to study materials? Thanks a lot!

As an attorney, i am certain you have the right to represent yourself as your own realtor, and get paid on it....however, there must exist prerequisites to function a brokerage where you would be potentially managing other realtors and their/ their clients money. I would call the Md. real estate commission for info.

@Sandra Holt: Have you looked at the National Association of Realtors website? If that doesn't spell it out you need to check the regional NAR chapters, such as the Baltimore Board of Realtors, or the Greater Capital Area Association of Realtors (GCAAR) websites to get information pertaining to brokerage requirements in the state of Maryland.

A realtor needs to be an agent for 5 years before becoming a broker, and my understanding is the coursework is pretty demanding. A lot of it is legal training, though, so that may be why you can get a shortcut as an attorney. You need to do some checking. Good luck with it.

In Mass as an attorney I just needed to apply to become a Broker (and pay the bond). No test and every few years at renewal I just pay the fee to the state and get a new bond.

The real estate agents do get pissed when I say I am the broker and the client and insist on splitting the fee but when it is my listing and they bring the client, I split the fee

Originally posted by @Sandra Holt :

I am an attorney in Maryland and I know that as an attorney I can take the test to become a licensed broker without having to fulfill any of the prerequisites (e.g. two years realtor experience). Are there any attorneys out there who have done this in Maryland? I just want to see if this proposition is actually true. Taking a quick test and being able to look at as many properties as I want whenever I want just sounds too good to be true!

Also if there are any MD brokers out there, can you point me in the right direction as to study materials? Thanks a lot!

Did you find any more information about this?  I too am an attorney in MD and have considered taking the test to get my broker license.  I think it requires an annual fee of a couple hundred dollars.  I keep coming back to it and looking at test materials to try to figure out how to go about it.

I haven't looked into much since posting unfortunately since I've been so busy with my last rental... I will though when I get closer to getting another property.  I've heard that the broker fees are closer to thousands than hundreds though.  

Where and what do you practice?  Just curious :)

@Sandra Holt , taking the test will not get you into as many houses as you want, anytime you want.

What will get you that is access to the local MLS, which is more than likely operated by a Board of REALTORS. That means you'll have to pay local, state, and national dues to be a Board member (a requirement for MLS membership), and then join and pay your MLS dues.

That's how you get into the thousands of dollars a year.

I haven't looked into much since posting unfortunately since I've been so busy with my last rental... I will though when I get closer to getting another property.  I've heard that the broker fees are closer to thousands than hundreds though.  

I practice in DC for a national client base, primarily in the areas of information reporting and withholding, cross-border payments, FATCA, and employment taxes.

This has info on the MRIS subscription fees, which are in addition to the broker license fee the state charges...

http://old.mris.com/membership/subscriptionforms/online_sub.cfm

Thanks for the link @Stephen Chittenden .  I'll check it out.  

BTW, I'm based out of Columbia and practice family law.  

If you do decide to take the brokers exam, can you post how it went?  Thanks!

Attorneys can be licensed as real estate brokers in Maryland with a waiver of the education requirements. 

https://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/mrec/mrecattq...

Attorney Qualification - Real Estate Commission

If an individual is qualified to practice law in the State, the Commission shall waive the educational and experience requirements of 17-305(1)(i) and (ii). Send a Letter of Good Standing from the Maryland Court of Appeals (original only, not a copy) to us within 30 days of its issue date along with a cover letter, personally signed, with your mailing address and complete contact information, including an e-mail address. Send to the Education Administrator, Maryland Real Estate Commission, 500 North Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21202-3651. When qualified, you will be sent all information needed to register for the exam. Do not fax or e-mail this information.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.