Do you ever worry about your safety when showing a property solo?

Do you ever worry about your safety when showing a property solo?

Peabody, MA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Hi All - 

It has recently come to my attention that it may not be the safest route to do a showing solo. I am a petite female which leads some to believe that I may not be able to defend myself in an unfortunate situation - forgive me as I was raised by a Police Officer - these thoughts are simply ingrained in me. Regardless of my build or ability to 'defend myself against an attacker,' (as my Dad would say), doing showings is simply part of the gig.

So my question is this, to all of you that must take this into consideration like myself - how do you go about doing a showing or open house in the safest way possible? I would like to believe in the good in people but the fact is that you really never know. Is this a common concern for other females in this industry, or even males? Or am I the product of a paranoid father of a daughter... 

Advice please! :-)

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Weehawken, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
11y

@Brianna H.

It's an immensely sad topic that was definitely brought to my attention last year with this story. Although I did not know Beverly, we had some mutual contacts in Memphis, my regards go out to her family.

Naturally, in situations like this, the statistics are worse for females. Don't throw caution to the wind. Meet new clients in public places first, and then go to a showing. Make sure your partners, friends, or family always know where you are headed, and I would also recommend carrying some mace. 

When/if you can schedule showings so that there will be others around is also good. Think neighbors, contractors, etc.

This is a sad topic to be responding on, but I am definitely glad you bring it up for everyone's safety.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Weehawken, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    11y

    @Brianna H.

    It's an immensely sad topic that was definitely brought to my attention last year with this story. Although I did not know Beverly, we had some mutual contacts in Memphis, my regards go out to her family.

    Naturally, in situations like this, the statistics are worse for females. Don't throw caution to the wind. Meet new clients in public places first, and then go to a showing. Make sure your partners, friends, or family always know where you are headed, and I would also recommend carrying some mace. 

    When/if you can schedule showings so that there will be others around is also good. Think neighbors, contractors, etc.

    This is a sad topic to be responding on, but I am definitely glad you bring it up for everyone's safety.

  • Real Estate Investor · Rossville, GA · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 96 votes
    11y

    @Brianna H., As a police officer myself I understand your concerns and take them into consideration when setting up showings.  While I am 6' 3" with a large build and don't worry so much about myself, I try and make sure that my wife doesn't end up in iffy situations.  I normally take care of the showings and initial setup.  After I am comfortable with the tenant, my wife may go by and pick up rents.  I would always let someone know where you are going and how long you expect to be there.  Like @Trevor Ewen said, carry a good pepper spray.  If you have a friend or family member who doesn't mind tagging along, bring them along.  It's sad we even have to worry about these things.  Good Luck, Mike

  • Rental Property Investor · Marianna Florida · Member since 2011 · 357 posts · 169 votes
    11y

    I'm an agent, former police officer, and until recently I taught Florida concealed weapons permit classes, and usually had a couple Realtors or agents in class on a weekly basis. 

    If you live in a state that allows you to exercise your 2nd Amendment right, and if you're willing to get the proper training, I'd suggest getting a permit to carry a handgun. 

    If you don't want to carry a firearm, I'd suggest pepper spray at the least, or better yet a Taser Brand C2 Taser if they're legal in your state. 

    You could also look into a self defense class, I'd suggest Krav Maga.

    There's a company teaching a class called "Real Safe - Self Defense for Realtors". Any training is better than none.

    Be safe

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 140 posts · 133 votes
    11y

    Brianna, I agree with Mr. Hicks I also would purchase a taser and a can of pepper spray to make you feel better and if anything ever arose you could defend yourself!

  • Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 32 votes
    11y

    I have viewed properties solo and I am a petite female as well. The area I deal in has one of the highest crime rates in the DFW area. I always facetime with one of my friends while I am walking through a property in this area. I also have a can of pepper spray with me. It also would not hurt if you told someone where you were going and what time you would be there, as someone already mentioned. 

    I have experienced individuals living in the houses, when their isnt suppose to be anyone there. Its always better to be prepared than not prepared at all!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.