Passed RE EXAM !!!!!! NEXT STEP IS....

60 Replies

I'm really excited I passed my school and state exam for RE! Im ready to select a brokerage and Im sure being a new agent may be difficult. So to start my career, besides spreading the word to my sphere of influence, I plan on targeting the high-priced neighborhoods and of course networking more with people I come across. I am still learning some tips on bringing in referrals as well.

As far as a fresh start, can anyone share their success story as a new agent? Thank you in advance 

Do your research and focus on NOT what Is listed but what is SELLING. That shows buyer demand in the marketplace.

You could go out and list like gangbusters but if the product you are selling is not desirable in the marketplace then you are on a sinking ship.

Have inventory of what buyers want to buy and not want sellers want to sell. 

Originally posted by @Joel Owens :

Do your research and focus on NOT what Is listed but what is SELLING. That shows buyer demand in the marketplace.

You could go out and list like gangbusters but if the product you are selling is not desirable in the marketplace then you are on a sinking ship.

Have inventory of what buyers want to buy and not want sellers want to sell. 

Thank you for the feedback. I understand. Being new I see it more as a concept of "beggars can't be choosy", so getting anything is good. I also see many newbies in a dry spell (rather talking about it as if its the inevitable), is it because of the neighborhood they choose or poor advertising? Whatever the reason, I would like to learn from those mistakes if possible.

Focus on what sells. New agents try to get whatever listings and see what sticks. Waste a lot of time and the closings they do have are negated in commission by the money spent on the ones that didn't sell.

If the seller will not listen to price recommendation and will not do clean up and staging etc. then you do not have control of the listing.

Best thing you can do is to get with a top performer in your area and shadow them. Do tasks for them, bring coffee, whatever. It's not about the task so much in that the drive to do anything to be successful. They want to see that special something before spending time and energy on you.

Congratulations @Terrell Sapp .

I suggest you start out with a broker that can help mentor and guide you through these early stages in you Real Estate Agent career.  Find a broker that is aligned with your goals.  I personally started with Century 21 which had a wealth of training and mentoring opportunities.  You definitely want to build your brand and find what you'd like to specialize in.  Working your SOI is great but its not enough.  You'll need to meet a lot of people and network like crazy to let everyone know you are in Real Estate and willing to help when they need it.  Good luck!

Originally posted by @Eddie Hernandez :

Congratulations @Terrell Sapp.

I suggest you start out with a broker that can help mentor and guide you through these early stages in you Real Estate Agent career.  Find a broker that is aligned with your goals.  I personally started with Century 21 which had a wealth of training and mentoring opportunities.  You definitely want to build your brand and find what you'd like to specialize in.  Working your SOI is great but its not enough.  You'll need to meet a lot of people and network like crazy to let everyone know you are in Real Estate and willing to help when they need it.  Good luck!

Thank you Eddie. I'm actually considering Citihabitats. I would like to have another interview with Keller Williams but a different location. Networking like crazy, I'm prepared for. Sure i would need to work on my elevator pitch, besides that, a lot of running around i know is ahead

Originally posted by @Karen Bickford :

Congratulations  Terrell!  Keller Williams is an awesome company to work for.  They offer a ton of training and support for new agents. 

Hey thanks Karen. Keller Williams is a company I would like to interview with (for the 2nd time),  their training is pretty good I hear. How is your experience with them? Do you feel they provide everything necessary for success in terms of their mentoring ? Right now I am leaning towards Citihabitats 

@terrell Sapp I hang my license with them however I don't actively work as an agent. I did at one point think I wanted to be an active real estate agent and did a lot of training which was awesome however it just isn't for me.I use my license mostly for investing purposes.they have a good compensation package as well as far as commission splits go not sure what it is but it was attractive.

Check out The Millionaire Real Estate Agent by Gary Keller. It's been around a while, but has solid fundamentals. 

Also, very important - I'd say most important in the beginning -  when considering offices - How are you going to receive/generate your own leads?

Originally posted by @Tim Booz :

Check out The Millionaire Real Estate Agent by Gary Keller. It's been around a while, but has solid fundamentals. 

Also, very important - I'd say most important in the beginning -  when considering offices - How are you going to receive/generate your own leads?

I'm actually listening to that audiobook as we speak Tim, and thank you for your input. I'm about an hour into it, do you feel this book has helped your career so far? 

As far as generating leads, it will be a hustle for me. Cold calling, visiting barbershops/ other places I am a regular at and provide my business cards. Networking much more, I feel I need to bring up my social media presence. Do you have suggestions towards receiving/generating leads?

Originally posted by @Jenkins Ramon :

Yes

I'm located in Wisconsin

 Nice, What would you say is you biggest mistake earlier in your career? Or in another sense, what would you have done differently that would say you time, money and earn success?

I see you're title reads "investor", do you do a bit of both? I actually want to build enough capital from being an agent then start investing into MFH and apt complexes. What do you do?

Originally posted by @Karen Bickford :

@terrell Sapp I hang my license with them however I don't actively work as an agent. I did at one point think I wanted to be an active real estate agent and did a lot of training which was awesome however it just isn't for me.I use my license mostly for investing purposes.they have a good compensation package as well as far as commission splits go not sure what it is but it was attractive.

That's what ultimately will get into, investing. Starting out as an agent to build capital, learn the ways and then start investing. I want to ask the same question I did Jenkins, What would you say was you biggest mistake earlier in your career? Or what would you have done differently that would save time, money and earn success?

It was very helpful, it gave me a blueprint for advancement to use as a guide from one stage to the next. I would suggest generating your own leads, not waiting to receive them from a broker/team. Calling expireds and FSBO's works, PPC works, and so does circle prospecting - just don't get discouraged if you're not seeing immediate results 30 days in, sometimes it takes a bit of time to build up skills and get enough irons in the fire.

Regardless of which lead gen method you use it's critical that you have a good lead incubation system. Keep everyone in a database, and make sure you have a system for contacting and following up (it gets very difficult to keep up very quickly). There are a ton of good ones out there depending on your budget. Highrise HQ is a great free option, up to 250 contacts.

I want to ask the same question I did Jenkins, What would you say was you biggest mistake earlier in your career? Or what would you have done differently that would save time, money and earn success?

I would say so far is working with individuals who were tire kickers, people 

who wanted to use me for information and then ship the entire commission 

to list agent.  Currently I’m working with investors with renovations and buy hold 

purchases. ( residential & commercial )

My ultimate goal would be 40% realtor with clients 

and 60% building passive buy hold investing.

@Terrell Sapp good luck moving forward as real estate agent.

@Terrell Sapp  I have never sold RE so can't comment on that. My take on being an agent is you really have to work it.  Much more work than I was willing/able to to do. If I didn't have another job I would def try my hand at it. There is so much technology evolution in the RE agent arena it seems it would be hard to fail if you put the time and effort in.  The 80/20 rule applies  as well. Out of the 100 agents in my office Greater Worcester MA only about 20 agents are producers. I am part of the 80 lol. 

Originally posted by @Joel Owens :

Terrell if you want to focus on apt complex and MFH do not waste your time at a residential brokerage or a dual purpose one. Go immediately and start working at a specialist brokerage that only does apartments.

Thanks for the direction Joel!  What do you think about working as a realtor to gain capital and knowledge ? That's what I want to do. I currently work overnight and the wages aren't great enough to stay. I feel having my re license and doing it will give me an edge. Your take on my approach?

Originally posted by @Tim Booz :

It was very helpful, it gave me a blueprint for advancement to use as a guide from one stage to the next. I would suggest generating your own leads, not waiting to receive them from a broker/team. Calling expireds and FSBO's works, PPC works, and so does circle prospecting - just don't get discouraged if you're not seeing immediate results 30 days in, sometimes it takes a bit of time to build up skills and get enough irons in the fire.

Regardless of which lead gen method you use it's critical that you have a good lead incubation system. Keep everyone in a database, and make sure you have a system for contacting and following up (it gets very difficult to keep up very quickly). There are a ton of good ones out there depending on your budget. Highrise HQ is a great free option, up to 250 contacts.

 I'm sure it is difficult, but hey, this is the life we chose right? Those were great tips, thank you for that, will surely be used. 

I just checked out High-rise HQ, is it a difference from Podio (if you know of it) ?