Marketing to leads pre-license vs. post-license

11 Replies

Hi, I recently become a licensed salesperson and have several lists to whom I marketed before I became licensed:

-Driving for dollars

-Code violations

-Listsource lists for equity, owned 10 or more years

-Expireds

I've done 3-6 mailing to these folks before I was licensed. I'd now like to continue and also offer to list their houses as a Realtor. Can anyone speak to the differences in doing this, now that I'm licensed?  What is your approach and is there anything I need to be careful of? Thanks!

Het @Brian Huber . Usually you only need the normal brokerage disclosures you would need in any other type of advertising.

Are you planning on taking a different angle or the same as before you were licensed? 

Who do what in the what now???

So, you marketed your services before you were licensed, and now you want to continue to market to them??  Is that what you're asking?

@David Hunter

Yes that's right.

@Jeff Valentino

I think my approach would be, "I'm following up on my previous letter about buying your house. If you would prefer to get top dollar for it on the retail market, I'm happy to assist you with that as I'm now a license agent. I can provide information to help with that process." Or something to that effect.

Originally posted by :

I think my approach would be, "I'm following up on my previous letter about buying your house. If you would prefer to get top dollar for it on the retail market, I'm happy to assist you with that as I'm now a license agent. I can provide information to help with that process." Or something to that effect.

I'd be interested to see how that works, if you don't mind.

Well, it's really no different than how you marketed to them before.

Yes, mention the previous letter.  Offer them something of value.

Right now what you offer is a high-threshold offer.  People don't know what you offer, people don't want to be "sold."

So, what can you offer that's valuable?  A Home Seller's Guide (I think I'm going to break a record on how many times I say this)!  This will get prospects to raise their hands.

@David Hunter and @Jeff Valentino , after talking to my broker about it, he said I'll need to cross reference EVERY address with MLS to ensure they're not already working with an agent. This will definitely be a major time suck that I didn't have to do before I was licensed...

Originally posted by @Brian Huber :

@David Hunter and @Jeff Valentino, after talking to my broker about it, he said I'll need to cross reference EVERY address with MLS to ensure they're not already working with an agent. This will definitely be a major time suck that I didn't have to do before I was licensed...

That would take a ton of time. I don't do any direct mail, but I usually see a disclaimer like " XYZ Brokerage #11111. This is not an attempt to solicit a listing if you are currently listed with another agent."  I'm sure it varies by state.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Jeff Valentino :
Originally posted by @Brian Huber:

@David Hunter and @Jeff Valentino, after talking to my broker about it, he said I'll need to cross reference EVERY address with MLS to ensure they're not already working with an agent. This will definitely be a major time suck that I didn't have to do before I was licensed...

That would take a ton of time. I don't do any direct mail, but I usually see a disclaimer like " XYZ Brokerage #11111. This is not an attempt to solicit a listing if you are currently listed with another agent."  I'm sure it varies by state.

Good luck!

This is the business plan I'm also going with but I only mailed once before realizing I was throwing away money not bring an Agent with the ability to list.  I'm changing lists to a more local area but I plan to put in a disclaimer like this.  I'll run it past my broker but I've asked the same question in BP before and this was the general feedback I received.

Be honest and sincere. If you want to buy properties I wouldn't gravitate towards the license as their end game to get a high price. Disclose that you have a license, but let that change your goal. Once the phone rings you'll be able to craft a tailored approach from there. Maybe what they are looking for doesn't work for you to purchase, but it would be to list.

You're still working the margins of direct mail marketing. I honestly don't think you're going to see much of a difference in response rate. Make sure your personality and messaging is consistent from the marketing pieces to the phone call to the meet and greet. That's where I come back to the honesty part.

Originally posted by @Jeff Valentino :

Bingo!!!!

Oh, and be sure to include the Fair Housing symbol, and any other symbols you need (be sure to check with your Broker).

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.