Online Licensing classes? Or in Classroom? Which is better?

15 Replies

Hello all my fellow Bpers! 

Just have a question for all of you concerning getting a license! Which have you found to be more effective, Getting your license online or in classroom? And why? Which do you recommend? I do plan on making a career out of this if that affects your answers at all. 

To all the Colorado agents out there...which programs do you suggest to get my license through? 

Thank you all so much! 

Whether you take the class online or in classroom, you will review the same material from the same book. In general I would prefer an in-classroom course (teacher-student interaction, able to ask questions, etc), but if you can't commit on a weekly basis, the online class may be best for you.

If Colorado allows online classroom hours, you may want to take advantage of that...Connecticut requires 60 classroom hours (Principals & Practices) in order to sit for the test.

It's dependent upon your learning style and how much knowledge you've started with. If you've never done a real estate transaction then in person is what I would recommend so you can ask questions. I did online and used Colorado Real Estate School. They covered the bases well for what I needed. 

Originally posted by Rob Braut:

Whether you take the class online or in classroom, you will review the same material from the same book. In general I would prefer an in-classroom course (teacher-student interaction, able to ask questions, etc), but if you can't commit on a weekly basis, the online class may be best for you.

If Colorado allows online classroom hours, you may want to take advantage of that...Connecticut requires 60 classroom hours (Principals & Practices) in order to sit for the test.

Excellent! Thank you so much! I will have to check on the classroom hours part. 

Originally posted by @Dan Mackin :

It's dependent upon your learning style and how much knowledge you've started with. If you've never done a real estate transaction then in person is what I would recommend so you can ask questions. I did online and used Colorado Real Estate School. They covered the bases well for what I needed. 

Dan, 

That's a great point. I haven't done a real estate transaction myself so the classroom setting will be much more beneficial. Appreciate that advice! 

@Johnny Lujan

If you have the time to attend a conventional classroom real estate class I would highly recommend it.  The interaction with others in the class and with the instructor can be invaluable in your learning process.

I would especially recommend a conventional class if being a realtor is going to be your livelihood.  in a lot of aspects of real estate there is no substitute for being out there in the trenches and gaining hands on experience in different aspects of the profession.  Sitting behind a computer to me gets you off on the wrong foot in that respect.

@Johnny Lujan from a knowledge perspective the course work offers about zero information about what it takes to succeed as an agent. For my classroom experience, the sidebar, during the breaks, and comments by the instructors provided insight into the life as an agent. I valued that. I'm sure the nature of those types of comments and activities vary with the instructor and the school. My instructors at Kaplan were active professionals. I know some schools have professional real estate teachers. I selected Kaplan because of the time the classes were offered when I could take them. I was working full time when I took the class. 

Begin by understanding that real estate is very much a social business, who you know, who you work with, other people in the business and out of it makes your breaks your future. Doesn't matter how much you really know or think you know, the goal is not just passing an examination, it's learning to use the license and your knowledge to profit.

That means, attend class! If at all possible. Classes here may have 50 or 75 students, you get to know them. They are in the same boat as you. Don't look at them as competitors as much as allies. Friendships can be forged, working relationships should be the goal. These students are your peers. It's great to bounce ideas off your peers before making a fool of yourself with more advanced agents or your broker. 

Appraisers sit in the same classes too, you can meet these great to know folks as your peer, they can be very handy later on to know personally.

In class, the instructor will expand on written materials and relate points to local customs and activities. This is a big advantage getting the local perspective of rules and customs. Areas of interest of others asking questions will usually spark your learning process as well, classroom interaction is the best method of learning.......why we have teachers and schools  and colleges adding to that are the socialization aspects in learning. 

If you can't attend a classroom positively can not do it at all, then use your computer, but you will be missing out. The most important thing is to do it by what ever means you can. Good luck :) 

@Johnny Lujan Here in Orlando, Fl it seems like a majority of the people that take the class online seem to fail more than those that take the course in person on the first try. I personally did mine online for both my sales associate and brokers license and passed on the first try. However, I read the textbook cover to cover and took tons of test prep.

Most people fail not because a lack of knowledge, but a lack of wisdom when taking the test. A good friend of mine is great a memorization and learning definitions, but doesn't do so well at extracting lessons, themes and nuance so he failed multiple times after studying online. He finally took the class in person and the teacher told him what to look out for and the ways that they will try to trip you up with the wording on the test, etc. That seemed to be the difference maker, and he passed after failing 2 times. 

Best of luck to you Johnny!

@Johnny Lujan

I took the online classes will realestateexpress and aced all the testing.  I thought I was well prepared and scheduled the test.  I failed by a couple questions!  Most of the questions I missed were not covered by realestateexpress material.  I remembered most of the questions that I did not know so I could study the material and I then rescheduled the test and passed it.

I would recommend taking the classes in person if it fits in your schedule.  I think you will have a better chance at passing the exams on the first attempt!

I agree with the majority and recommend taking the course in person. I am currently taking the course online via careerwebschool due to being in the process of moving to the area where I will get my license. I enjoy the flexibility of being able to do the course around my schedule but I find it harder and harder each day to carve time out to dedicate to the course. If you are disciplined online is a great alternative. Being in a new area and not knowing anyone, I really wish I had the time to wait for the next course. Good Luck!

Originally posted by @Bill S. :

@Johnny Lujan from a knowledge perspective the course work offers about zero information about what it takes to succeed as an agent. For my classroom experience, the sidebar, during the breaks, and comments by the instructors provided insight into the life as an agent. I valued that. I'm sure the nature of those types of comments and activities vary with the instructor and the school. My instructors at Kaplan were active professionals. I know some schools have professional real estate teachers. I selected Kaplan because of the time the classes were offered when I could take them. I was working full time when I took the class. 

Very nice! I'm actually considering Kaplan. Looks to be the best in the area. Thank you so much!

Originally posted by @Bill Gulley :

Begin by understanding that real estate is very much a social business, who you know, who you work with, other people in the business and out of it makes your breaks your future. Doesn't matter how much you really know or think you know, the goal is not just passing an examination, it's learning to use the license and your knowledge to profit.

That means, attend class! If at all possible. Classes here may have 50 or 75 students, you get to know them. They are in the same boat as you. Don't look at them as competitors as much as allies. Friendships can be forged, working relationships should be the goal. These students are your peers. It's great to bounce ideas off your peers before making a fool of yourself with more advanced agents or your broker. 

Appraisers sit in the same classes too, you can meet these great to know folks as your peer, they can be very handy later on to know personally.

In class, the instructor will expand on written materials and relate points to local customs and activities. This is a big advantage getting the local perspective of rules and customs. Areas of interest of others asking questions will usually spark your learning process as well, classroom interaction is the best method of learning.......why we have teachers and schools  and colleges adding to that are the socialization aspects in learning. 

If you can't attend a classroom positively can not do it at all, then use your computer, but you will be missing out. The most important thing is to do it by what ever means you can. Good luck :) 

Excellent! I definitely will attend class! I will develop as many relationships as I can as well. Great point to look at them as allies and not competitors. 

Thank you!

@Johnny Lujan,

I know you already decided to take the classroom course, and that sounds like a good plan, but in answer to your call to CO agents, I took the online Macrealestate course.  

IF you're interested in my feedback about it, let me know!

Jeanne

online is the cheapest ,fastest and you 95% of the information you will never use I have 2 licenses in 2 states( CA,NY) and took all courses online including continuing education I never paid more then $150 for a course

Wow Colorado is expensive almost double

https://www.realestateexpress.com/prelicense/co/prelicense_info.asp

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here