• Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Votes |
Getting your Real Estate License in Texas - Step By Step

Shane Woods
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Weatherford, TX
Posted Sep 3 2015, 14:57

Howdy!  Many of you may have seen my recent thread about my journey to becoming licensed in TX.  The thread is here:

RE License Journey - TX

This thread will serve as a step-by-step guide, for aspiring agents.  This is the order I should have done things in.  And the order that the TREC website doesn't fully explain.  

FYI, the TREC website outlining the requirements is here: TREC Sales License Requirements

You should be able to complete the entire process to become an active agent within 10 weeks if you have lots of time to devote to the education.  My education took me about 60 actual hours to complete.  I had roughly 10-15 hrs/week into the education portion, and I finished in exactly 1 month.

Now for the steps:

1) Decide what type of education will be best for you.  Options are study-at-home books, with online tests & discussion groups | Online everything | and in-person education (classroom style).  I opted for the study-at-home books.  I prefer something I can read anywhere, without having to deal with a laptop or tablet, and the eye fatigue that goes with it.

2) Decide which education provider to use.  TREC Provides this list: TREC Education Providers. Do your own research.  Make sure your provider offers some kind of exam prep.  I chose Kaplan.  My cost was roughly $500 for the education.  Here is the link to Kaplan: Kaplan RE Education - Texas

3) "DO" the education part.  This happens on your schedule.  No one else's.  The good programs will have self test quizzes as you work through the material to make sure you're actually learning.  

4) Start researching brokers in your area. Ask around, check out websites, talk to other Realtors, etc.  Start working on a short list.  By the end of your education, you should have a short list of 3-4 Brokers you want to interview with.

5) Application time! As soon as you've completed your education and have all the certificates, apply to the state.  The cost is currently $205.  The link to the TREC MyLicense page is here: License Main Page.  You'll need to "register" for an account first.  The link will be on the Main Page.  Here's the direct link to register: TREC MyLicense Online Registration.  Once you've registered, use the Main Page Link again.  When you log in, it will take you to what they call the Menu Page.  Here's the direct link to the menu page: TREC MyLicense Menu Page. Keep in mind you can only hit this page if you're logged in already.  Click "Start a new application" and follow the prompts.  You will have to pay.  Be sure to print your receipt, and/or the auto email it sends you.  Next, you need to email all of your education certificates to [email protected].  This is SUPER IMPORTANT!!! If you don't do it at this point in the process, it will DELAY!!!

-- Steps 6 & 7 need to happen concurrently, as soon after you apply as possible.  The state will take 15 days to 3 weeks to get back with you after you apply.  Use this time for Exam Prep & Interviewing Brokers.  DO NOT PROCRASTINATE HERE OR YOUR PROCESS WILL BE DELAYED!!! --

6) Exam Prep! Use your education provider's exam prep to determine what areas you're proficient in, and which ones you need a little work.  Use their review materials to brush up.  Take pre & post tests to make sure you know everything you need to.  If you're still struggling with a subject, keep working it until you have it.  Most providers have review services to help you.  Keep at it until you're comfortable with every subject in the exam prep.  

7) Interview Brokers! Use the time after you apply before they approve you to interview the brokers on your short list.  Take good notes.  Have multiple conversations with the ones you "like".  Don't choose based on one conversation.  If  getting your license as quickly as possible is your goal, You need to have one chosen BEFORE the state gets back with you.

8) Choose a broker, Ideally within 10 days of application.  Have them sign a broker sponsor form and send it to TREC.  Do NOT wait to do this, or your license will initially be inactive, and you'll have to transfer sponsorship manually.  It takes longer that way.  Here's the link to the form: Broker Sponsorship form (pdf download)

-- Somewhere between 15 days and 3 weeks after you applied, you'll receive an email with your TREC ID number, authorizing you to schedule your exam, and get fingerprinted.  Get on it! You're almost there! -- 

9) Get Fingerprinted!!! This needs to happen as soon as possible after you receive your authorization email.  You'll need to get a FastPass to get fingerprinted by a MorphoTrust center. The download form is here: Fast Past Form Download. Just enter your TREC ID number at the bottom.  Print out the form, sign it, keep it safe.  Then go to the FastPass page, and click to schedule online or call the number.  Here's the link to the Fast Past Page: TREC Fast Pass Page. Schedule & go.  Don't wait! The cost is currently $40ish

10) Schedule your Exam! TREC uses Pearson Vue to handle testing.  Here's the link to the Texas Real Estate Exam page.  Pearson Vue TX Real Estate Testing.  Schedule & Pay.  The cost is currently $54.

11) Take the test!!! Make sure you have 2 forms of SIGNATURE ID, such as Driver License, Social Security Card, Credit/Debit Cards, etc. Your results will be shared with you as soon as you finish. 

12) Wait!  The state will email you when your results have been received and your inactive license issued.  If you were lucky enough to have your sponsoring broker send in the signed form in time...you'll be issued an active license shortly thereafter.  Took about 12 hours from my inactive email to the active email.

13) Join your local Association of Realtors! for MLS Access, and tons of other things you'll need. For my area the avg yearly cost is about $1300. It will be pro-rated based on when you join. Different things are paid at different intervals. Some brokers pay these fees and you pay them. Check with your sponsoring broker. You'll have some instruction/training from the association (MLS, etc).

14) You're done!

Hope this helps!

Loading replies...