What should I be doing before/while getting my license?

10 Replies

I'm a little more than a month away from testing and obtaining my real estate license.  What are some things I should be doing right now?  I have several brokers that I am interested in working under.  Should I be talking with them, and decide who to work with at this point?  I would like to get a marketing plan together.  Any tips?  Is there a website that specializes in marketing? 

Any guidance or wisdom would be great!

Thanks yall!

770‑289‑1516 | GA Agent # 367158

Work on finding the broker. The other steps will likely be dependent upon who you choose to go with.

Medium rhplogo jpgDan Mackin, Red Hawk Properties | [email protected] | 720‑971‑7139 | http://www.redhawkteam.com/ | CO Agent # FA.100056958

Start building a list of your "sphere of influence" - the names and contact information of family, friends, co-workers - basically anyone you can think of.

The moment you're licensed, you want to reach out to them and let them know you're in the business.  Gently ask for referrals,  

I'd also talk with brokers that you want to work for.  Find out what they have to offer.  

What are the commission splits?  Is there mandatory desk time?  (in my opinion, a colossal waste of time)

Are there company provided leads?  If so, is there an extra cost for them?  

Are there desk fees?  What expenses do you have to cover yourself?

- Good luck!  (If you were in Massachusetts, I'd hire you!)

Medium clear sailing logo  1600x489Charlie MacPherson, Clear Sailing Realty | 781‑412‑4151 | http://www.ClearSailingRealty.com | MA Agent # 9532146

@Josh McCullough

1. Are you keeping a part-time or full-time job while doing this? If so find a flexible smaller broker, don't try to do that while working for one of the big national brokers. The big ones will make you a call center calling FSBO's and Expired for other agents... I kept and still have my full-time job while being an agent. I advise keeping it and holding on as long as you can. Going months without a commission check can really put a damper on your spirits and put you farther into debt.

2. What is your experience with real estate? Have you ever even bought or sold a personal home? I see so many agents that have never even been through the process personally. Who wants to hire someone that doesn't even know what its like to sign their life away at a title company when buying a new property?? If you have little to no experience find someone who does have experience take them out to lunch and ask a TON of questions. This will help you figure out which direction you want to go.

Good luck, and I hope you succeed in whatever direction you go.

Thanks y'all! 

@Jake Thomas yes I'll be keeping my full time job. I'm a firefighter and that only takes up 10 days per month, so the conflicts there will be minimal. I do currently own my personal residence, and have 12 rentals, so I've done a few transactions! Thanks for the advice, bro!

770‑289‑1516 | GA Agent # 367158

Go to networking events and meet people that do business in that area. Real Estate is all about who you know and the faster you make these connections the better off you are. Also remember to smile and never judge someone fully based on their appearance because you never know who you'll meet.

404‑8403967

Hey Josh,

Yes, start talking with the brokers now so you can get a feel for them.

As far as a marketing plan goes... start off with a bang!

This is probably the millionth time I've said this, but find an area(s) you'd like to farm and create postcards offering a free home seller's guide!  As far as what else to put on the postcard, you could include Active, Contingent, Pending, and Solds from the areas you're farming.

Get a free business account with Angie's List, and every time you have a client have them fill out a review for you.

Once you find a broker and start working in the office, find out who the top agents are and ask them if they could give you any referrals.  Maybe buyers or renters they don't want to work with.  Heck, they may have some listings they could refer you to because they're not in the price range or area they'd like to work.  So, take all you can!  It's better to make $100 working with a rental and paying a referral fee, and learning the business, than staring at the phone hoping someone is going to call you to buy or sell. 

@Josh McCullough congrats on taking the plunge!  

Be ready for a roller coaster ride.  I am about 6 months in and it has been up and down.  I love it, but it has many challenges.  A few tips

-Find a good mortgage broker now.  Take a couple out to lunch and see who you like and think that you could see yourself doing business with.  They will be huge for you in your first year.  You want someone that you trust and meshes with your working style.  They want to meet you...trust me!

-Go to as many networking events as possible.  

-Find your broker now!  I started taking in house classes at my brokerage a month before I got licensed which allowed me to hit the ground running once it became official.  I would be happy to share some more details about Keller Williams via PM so give me a shout if you want some more details...I have been very happy.

-Start spreading the word to those closest to you now.  I can't tell you how many people I know that bought or sold in the first month that I was licensed that I wish I had made aware that I was getting into the business.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Anton Watt :

Go to networking events and meet people that do business in that area. Real Estate is all about who you know and the faster you make these connections the better off you are. Also remember to smile and never judge someone fully based on their appearance because you never know who you'll meet.

Where do you find those networking events?

Easy they are on meetup.com or come by our office in Atlanta and we can educate you on everything investment real estate in Atlanta.

404‑8403967