Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Jay Shuler
  • Realtor
  • Hallsville, TX
Votes |
(WA) Passed Classes, Welcoming Some Insight....

Jay Shuler
  • Realtor
  • Hallsville, TX
Posted Nov 22 2015, 19:50

Hey BP fans and contributors,

Recently I passed my 30 and 60 hour courses in real estate, planning to take the exam just after Christmas.  I have networked with a couple local agents, but was hoping to get the input of the forum on good agencies to broker through in Washington.  Low entry costs are important to me, as I am looking to work with investors, and aid my investing future.  Feel free to PM me if you have any recommendations.  I have heard good things about Preview Properties as far as cost goes, but I am open to ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Jay

User Stats

Votes
David Hunter
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Nov 23 2015, 09:49

Hey Jay,

Just remember one thing... this is YOUR business.  So, if you choose one broker and it doesn't work out you can always go to another broker.

I'm sure you could find many agents who don't take any fees unless you sell something.

But, I'd concentrate more on finding a broker that will give you the training and support you need as a new agent.

User Stats

Votes
Will H.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Boston, MA
Replied Nov 23 2015, 11:10
Originally posted by @David Hunter:

But, I'd concentrate more on finding a broker that will give you the training and support you need as a new agent.

This is bang on. I don't have any specific info on agencies in WA, but you're going to want to focus heavily on training and agent support when you're interviewing at brokerages. Do they have a training program they use, or is it a, "My door is always open," situation (you want an open door, but not just an open door)? Do they have classes or dedicated coaches? Is there any mentoring? Etc.

You really want a structured training program when you start out. The first year can be really tough for new agents, and you don't want to be left to your own devices. If you're not given training and support, the statistics show that you probably won't make it through the first year.

Also, get reading (or listening, if you prefer audio books)! The Millionaire Real Estate Agent, How to Master the Art of Selling, and How to Win Friends and Influence People are great places to start building sales skills. Most training programs will recommend at least one of those, so it never hurts to get a jump on things.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Norberto Villanueva
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Nov 23 2015, 13:25

Hello Jay. My previous post was removed as a solicitation. Please inbox me for a resource you might find helpful in your search. I look forward to it.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Shuler
  • Realtor
  • Hallsville, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Hallsville, TX
Replied Nov 24 2015, 09:07

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate the info.  I am a big podcast and audiobook nerd, so I have found listening to Gary Keller's series of real estate books is a great learning tool for me.  I also have a handful of others in my queue ready to start.  I will look for an agency that has great training and support resources.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Britton
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Votes |
  • Ann Arbor, MI
Replied Nov 26 2015, 16:30

Hi Jay,

if this is your first sales job i'd suggest looking into Keller Williams.  they have a pretty good training programs and most of their brokers are newer too, so you are in good/similar company. 

if you have experience with sales, real estate, business development and marketing, and are starting out brand new, i'd suggest John L Scott or Windermere.  Neither have a monthly desk fee or anything (at least, that's what they offered me) and both are solid brands.  

down the line if you want a team then you should consider Re/Max.  

i don't know much about the others like Sotheby's.  In your neck of the woods John L Scott and Windermere are the heavy hitters.  

best thing to do is interview each of the managing brokers at the majors and see which one fits.  

there is no right or wrong answer.  it's all about fit.