If I get my RE license, Will I have to work in an office?

If I get my RE license, Will I have to work in an office?

Specialist · Daphne, AL · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 18 votes

I am planning on getting my RE license at the beginning of next yr. What I haven't thought about is, Will I have to work in an office after I get my license or can I continue to work on my RE business from home?

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
10y

@Account Closed My broker doesn't offer office space and I love it!

My office space is my car, laptop and cell phone. My costs are minimal and it works great for me as I still have a full time 40 hr a week job and sell RE. Personally, with RE the best place to meet listing clients is a their house since they feel the most comfortable there. Anything you need to discuss with buying clients can be done on the phone. The up and coming Millennial generation prefers to text anyways. I have sold several houses where I have never once talked on the phone to a client, all communication is text and email.  Agents that spend a lot of time in their "office"  are obviously not out in the field selling. Not having an office keeps me motivated to stay out there selling!

Good luck

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan MackinBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Erie, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 512 votes
    10y

    Depends on who you hang your license under. Most states if not all of them require you to hang your license with an experienced broker for a certain amount of time before you can be on your own. There are brokerages where you can work from home. You'll just need to search around in your area to find them.

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hi Dee Dee,

    Well the answer to your question is pretty straight forward  NO. As a RE  Agent you will be working as an Independent  Contractor and by TREC or  RE law no brokerage firm can fix  your hours or limit you to work under  certain conditions its  totally  depends upon you.

    However, if you are working with small boutique style brokerage  firms its  easy to work independently butt when you are working for big firms its better to go to office and get some real time experience they also have the option of giving bench time which allows you to  take walk in customers if any. Hope you are clear now.

    Regards,

    SK1

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · La Crosse, WI · Member since 2013 · 360 posts · 110 votes
    10y

    There could be some advantages to being at the office.  Some places have floor duty - you must be physically present, but you get any prospects that come in.  Or just by being there, you could talk to any prospects that come in.  You will need to talk to your prospective broker about those topics.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed My broker doesn't offer office space and I love it!

    My office space is my car, laptop and cell phone. My costs are minimal and it works great for me as I still have a full time 40 hr a week job and sell RE. Personally, with RE the best place to meet listing clients is a their house since they feel the most comfortable there. Anything you need to discuss with buying clients can be done on the phone. The up and coming Millennial generation prefers to text anyways. I have sold several houses where I have never once talked on the phone to a client, all communication is text and email.  Agents that spend a lot of time in their "office"  are obviously not out in the field selling. Not having an office keeps me motivated to stay out there selling!

    Good luck

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Dan Mackin

    What if you want your license just to wholesale? Do you still have to hang your license with a broker? I don’t want to be an real estate agent! I just want to be professional with my RE investing and get my license!

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    You should be able to find a brokerage that doesn't require floor time so working from home should not be an issue. Just make sure you have access to some kind of conference room or office space to hold meetings when you need to. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    If the question is working from home or not, that seems pretty obvious that you can.

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y

    Of course, you can work from home. Some of the big box brokerages require new agents to train in person and do floor time (it sucks), etc, etc., but it's not worth it because you pay for their offices in your split and fees. There are plenty of brokerages who don't have hub offices and manage virtually now. My entire team works remote from wherever they want. Extroverts do get more out of office culture, but I think what COVID-19 has taught us in RE is that working in an office environment in real estate is wholly unnecessary.

  • Charlie CameronBusiness Member
    Investor · Niceville, FL · Member since 2017 · 450 posts · 366 votes
    5y

    @Account Closed nailed it.  You do have to hang your license with a broker but you don't need to go into an office.  You can have the support of a team, a local mentor, and all the tools and training you could possibly want without ever needing to step foot in an office, commute, or pay desk fees.  

    I started as an investor and then got my license and it's incredible how many more streams of income I can now leverage. Not looking back now! 

    The RAL Room Assisted Living Mastermind
  • Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 846 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I am planning on getting my RE license at the beginning of next yr. What I haven't thought about is, Will I have to work in an office after I get my license or can I continue to work on my RE business from home?

     You can and should be able to work from home. I always say that I didn't quit an office job to get another one. 

    Working from home as an agent is more typically working from car though. Make sure you have a nice data provider for a hotspot since you won't be working from a home office as much as you are working from a coffee shop, lunch spot, or vehicle much of the day. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.