I passed my exam. Now the hunt is on for a Home to lay my license

11 Replies

Hello biggerpockets folks, 

I just passed my exam and I have real estate brokerages calling me from all over time. I need help on deciding even which ones to call back. I'm more interested in the ones that get the listings, deals, making the money etc. All in all, I want to make a smart move on picking a brokerage. Does it matter which one I pick as long as its one of the popular ones? Because really, doesn't it depend on you as a seller. Can someone please give me some pointers? I live in Pittsburgh, PA on the east side

I think it all comes down to who offers the best training. Yes it's sales for sure, but a brokerage that can get you up to speed the fastest is best. I love where I'm at the training and culture are both great for me what where I want to go with my business. I'm with Keller Williams in Utah

Hi Charles, Becca is right when it comes to a brokerage offering training. Especially starting out as a Realtor, you want an office that has proven success and ongoing mentoring available. Also take a look at your generated income splits between you and the brokerage. Read over their contracts and look towards the future to see how over time you can increase your share of sales income. 

Gary

Congratulations Charles.  I am about 70% of the way complete with my online classes for PA Real Estate license.  How was the test?  Any study/preparation tips you can share?

Tom

@Tom Lacey I'll break it down for you because I wanted someone to do the same. The is to n ot use one medium to study from. I used my book from class, This guy on youtube called PrepAgent, and the folowing websites:

https://www.nightbeforetheexam.com

https://passmyrealestateexam.com

These are the online study materials that really helped me pass. I failed the exam twice after figured out what I really needed to do and what worked for me. I hope this will work for you as well. Also, don't know how comfy you are with math but it is good just remember the formulas cause that could save you when you need those couple extra points to pass. Good luck!

Congratulations! I don't have a lot of experience with brokerages. My primary business right, is music. And I can tell you from that experience that going with the most popular company may not necessarily be the answer. Are their professional and ethical standards in line with your own? How's their training? What kind of fee structure do they have in place? Make yourself a list of questions about your personal and professional goals. Will the brokerage make your path more clear? As an investor, how will working with that brokerage facilitate you acquiring more properties? Are they investor-friendly? What's their track record with investors? You may want to talk to some other investors in the area and ask which brokerages and agents they prefer.

Again, congratulations!

I would say interview with a couple of agencies.

Decide if you want to do a big company (national/global level) or a small one.

I agree with training and culture, bigger companies have a cookie cutter training program and it gets the job done, smaller ones can be hit or miss, either no training at all or private mentorship..

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Remember, 50% of something is bigger than 100% of nothing.

Originally posted by @David Cowan :

Congratulations! I don't have a lot of experience with brokerages. My primary business right, is music. And I can tell you from that experience that going with the most popular company may not necessarily be the answer. Are their professional and ethical standards in line with your own? How's their training? What kind of fee structure do they have in place? Make yourself a list of questions about your personal and professional goals. Will the brokerage make your path more clear? As an investor, how will working with that brokerage facilitate you acquiring more properties? Are they investor-friendly? What's their track record with investors? You may want to talk to some other investors in the area and ask which brokerages and agents they prefer.

Again, congratulations!

Thanks David Cowen Awesome feedback

Congrats @Charles Coaston !  I was just in the same boat.  I interviewed the top 5 brokerages in my area, and chose what I felt the best fit for me would be.  It's all really about what you want and how you feel the brokerage will help you get there.  For me, I wanted great training, good commission splits, and minimal desk fees.  I also wanted a brokerage familiar with investing.  I think if you go in with the mindset of what you want to achieve, you will find the right place for you.  

Good luck!