Votes
Sharyn Umaña-Angers
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
The House Next Door... (Corona, CA)

Sharyn Umaña-Angers
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Jun 19 2016, 11:09

I have a 1,722 SF 3/2 Single Family Home that we were renting for a number of years and now we are trying to sell. Getting comps is a bit difficult because it's a neighborhood where no two houses are exactly alike. But a fair Market Value estimate would be AT LEAST $375k or $400k. The problem is that the house next door (which is 500 SF bigger and with newer upgrades - countertops, appliances, etc.), was purchased in January at a foreclosure auction for $238k, and is now being flipped for $330k!! That house is EASILY worth at LEAST $425k if not closer to $475k.  I really have no idea why these guys are selling it at such a low price (I'm pretty sure that in this market, it would even move quickly at $400k). But the bigger problem for us is that suddenly we have a ridiculously low comp right next door that beat us on the market! Will real estate agents actually take this comp into serious consideration??? It's a joke... I'd appreciate any advice from people that have experience with this. Or suggestions of anything we can do to mitigate the situation.

Also, when a house is appraised, is it done so based SOLELY on the value of the individual property or do they take neighborhood comps into consideration as well?? 

Thanks in advance! 

Loading replies...