Breaking into the business, how was your first 3 months?

Breaking into the business, how was your first 3 months?

Real Estate Agent · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 4 votes

Hey BP! I recently joined a brokerage that is smaller than the big names and I'm pretty happy that I did. I'm able to have access to my broker and the support is awesome! So far, I've learned to gather as much information of SOI and make goals for myself on a weekly basis. I'm putting myself into the community, I'm volunteering and joining groups. I've been immersing myself with as much webinars and classes to learn the business. I've read a couple RE books, Gary Keller "Shift" and Michael Maher "The Seven Levels of Communication."  Anyway, what other suggestions do you have to help a newbie? What was the first few months for you? I feel like at times I could be doing more.  

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2008 · 579 posts · 225 votes
10y

market-Market-MARKET!  you must market yourself, but not like all the other agents out there.  Be different.

I always recommend farming an area with postcards and offering a free Home Seller's Guide.  Hold open houses (look at all the listings your office has and choose the houses you'd like to hold open then reach out to the listing agent).  Ask top agents in your office if they can refer you to any business (maybe they have cheap buyers/sellers/renters that they don't want to work with.

Sometimes you just need to quit diving into all the webinars/classes/books and just get out there and do it!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2008 · 579 posts · 225 votes
    10y

    market-Market-MARKET!  you must market yourself, but not like all the other agents out there.  Be different.

    I always recommend farming an area with postcards and offering a free Home Seller's Guide.  Hold open houses (look at all the listings your office has and choose the houses you'd like to hold open then reach out to the listing agent).  Ask top agents in your office if they can refer you to any business (maybe they have cheap buyers/sellers/renters that they don't want to work with.

    Sometimes you just need to quit diving into all the webinars/classes/books and just get out there and do it!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2011 · 345 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    Hey there @Account Closed !

    You're doing good things for long term success, so I would suggest to keep doing that while adding things to get more "now" clients. Some of this will be market dependent. My market is flooded with free home value, seller's guides etc so that would be a waste here. Also paid leads from the big search sites are kind of pricey here so I never did much of that.

    Maybe you can hold open houses for other agents in your office? Maybe some of the top agents have buyers they can refer to you, or a needy client. I looked for anything I could to talk to people ready to buy when I started. I don't telemarket so I never called expireds or fsbo's but some have success w that as well. 

    Lastly, network on BP! Learn the investing business and set up keyword alerts so you can jump into conversations. It's a great way to talk lots of real estate and help you sharpen your skills.

    Good luck!!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @David Hunter @Jeff Valentino Thanks for the advice. I like the free home seller's guide idea. I am also a new agent hoping to use being a realtor as a way to save capital for RE investing. 

    @Account Closed congrats on becoming an agent and good luck. From what I have been reading as long as we work and market hard we should be successful in this industry. A little friendly competition...lets see who gets their first closing first.

  • Real Estate Agent · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @David Hunter I didn't think I would like marketing part, but I realized pretty fast that having a name and face association was pretty important for building the trust value with potential clients. I always felt awkward discussing RE with people without sounding pushy, but I'm finding ways to market myself organically by treating everyone as a friend and casually inserting REALTOR in the conversation. Fingers cross they will think of me!

    @Jeff Valentino I thought cold calling was the thing and find it nice to hear that that is not the only way to conduct business. Prior to getting my RE license, I wanted to know what other agents were doing and found links to YT that there were a lot of calling FSBO's and Expireds to get listings. Kinda disheartening but found my broker didn't like doing that as well and she manage to find success in other avenues. She's Diamond Certified and has two brokerage offices, so yeah!

    @Ugwu Uche Your making me NERVOUS! lol Congrats to you! So far I'm learning its an exciting business, I can't believe the amount of information I've gathered thus far. Alright...game on lol if anything, knowledge and success learned along the way is beneficial. I would say good luck, but I doubt you'll need it!   

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2008 · 579 posts · 225 votes
    10y

    If you don't want to talk to people then spend money on postcards, farm an area offering a home seller's guide and let them contact you!  :-)

  • Real Estate Agent · Manchester, NH · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
    10y

    Good for you, that's awesome! Keep doing what you're doing now and market yourself. Check the MLS and keep track of trends and inventory as much as you can. Update all your websites and stay active constantly. Ask other agents if you can go to listing appointments with them and just pick their brain. Most agents won't mind, there is plenty of business to go around. A lot of agents will give you buyer leads from websites for a referral fee, especially if they are busy with listings. It will definitely pay off! I started this year and in the beginning I was doing exactly what you're doing. Don't spend all of your time learning though. Be as confident as you can be and just go right out and do the business. You will learn as you go, and you'll get busy before you know it! 

    Good luck :) 

    Amanda Leach,

    Realtor at Berkshire Hathaway Verani Realty 

  • Investor/ Real Estate Agent · Burton, OH · Member since 2015 · 167 posts · 53 votes
    10y

    Congrats @Account Closed! My suggestion: everyday have a plan of action. Be intentional in all of your conversations and come from a position of value. Let everyone you know that you are in real estate. Friends and family- great place to start!

  • Account ClosedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Ben Lomond, CA · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    Congrats @Account Closed Read all of the CAR contracts and forms and learn them inside and out. Remember when in doubt disclose!  It will keep you out of trouble. Other than that, as a real estate agent you are a marketer.  As others have told you it is all about networking and marketing.  Putting yourself in the community will generate the leads you need to build your career. Have fun and don't give up. I am down in Santa Cruz and having a blast. If I ever have any clients heading your way I will let you know.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.