Virginia Pre-licensing course at NVAR

13 Replies

Hello BP members,

I will be starting my path to becoming a licensed realtor on Monday at the Northern Virginia Association of Realtors.

I am seeking my license for access to the MRIS for the purposes of enhancing my own investing activities.  (In addition to getting in some serious time analyzing local deals) 

I am posting here to ask other BP members in the area, what are the most important things to study?  I have several Virginia Real Estate books related to Virginia Practice and law, principles....etc

I understand that it is all good to know and most of it will be applicable, but what are the nuts and bolts for the purposes of the exam?  The course that I am taking is a couple of weeks long and I am sure that I will learn a ton, but I am trying to set myself up for success here.

Respectfully,

Dan

I would suggest going with Kaplan. for a few extra dollars they can include the PSI study tests that mimic the test. I passed the first time because of those practice exams

Dan, you can go to prepagent.com (worked for me) and do some there, or just use the free online practice test that exist.  I think it was Kevin Ward who said you really want to be taking as many practice test as possible and be scoring 80% on them consistently.  That helped me out.  

Hey Dan,

Depends on how you study but realestateexpress.com worked for me. I also used quizlet.com real estate exam flash cards to keep it in my memory. 

@Brandon L. , @Cesar Rebolledo , @Derrick H.,

Thank you all for your input.  Sorry it took me so long to respond.  I am currently in the second week of the Principles class and it is going well so far.  

Hoping to be taking the PSI exam just before Thanksgiving.

Thanks again,

Dan

@Cesar Rebolledo ,

Thanks for asking. I took the 60hr pre-licensing class at NVAR, passed it and took the PSI exams at the very first opportunity. I passed both exams on the first shot and am looking to affiliate with a broker right now.

Dan

@Dan Call , Just wanted to pass on that www.moseley.org has FREE Virginia online post licensing education.  I just completed my required 30-hour PLE for free.  They reported it to the state, and it was credited to my license at DPOR within 2 business days of completion.  They also offer some free CE credits for my next 2-year requirement.  And if you're a AAA member, you can get the required completion affidavit notarized there for free as well.     

@Lynn M. ,

Thanks for the heads up. That's great news. I'll definitely look into going that route.

Let me know if I can do anything for you.

R/

Dan

@Dan Call That's awesome. I just left the military myself. I see you're getting ready to retire. God bless you and your family for all those years of service. I'm down in Fishersville, VA about 2 hours from you, but if there is anything I can do to help you, please don't hesitate. If you haven't checked out the CAZA Network group in Haymarket, I would do that! Best of luck and please reach out if there is anything I can provide you with.

Hi Dan,

I'm an agent in Falls Church City with KW and the most popular real estate course is mosley.  They have a full online option and in class courses all over the NOVA region.  I think Kaplan bought Mosley is I'm not mistaken.  Susan Cook in my office holds a free study and cram season I believe weekly and I would be happy to put you in touch with her.  I think we also have an in person course starting here in January.  Send me a PM and I can help you.  Good Luck!

@Dan Call I am also a member of NVAR, and I wrote an article for the BP blog about passing the real estate exam the first time. Click the link below to give it a read:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2016/07/1...

As long as you put in the study time you will be fine. Don't just show up thinking it will be easy :) Good luck. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions

@Brandon L. ,

Thanks for reaching out. I took the 60 hr pre-licensing course at NVAR in November, then signed up for the very first possible PSI exam. Both the national and state exam were incredibly simple. I passed both the first time with no additional studying course work. (Guess the NVAR course did a decent job of prepping me)

Additionally, I just signed on with Liz at the same brokerage that I think you are associated with.

Thanks,

Dan

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here